(Solved) BI5, Alerts only lasting anywhere from 5hrs to 3 days before deletion

Spackler

n3wb
Reaction score
I usually keep the BlueIris structure on each disk just to make it easy in future if I ever decide to split things off again, ie \BlueIris\New, \BlueIris\Stored etc.

I just logged in to update to the latest release and saw that some of the continuous video was showing as missing with blank alert images:
View attachment 46283

I've just done a repair / regenerate and it's lost all the alerts again but brought back in the continuous videos

View attachment 46284

Something strange is happening with 5.x for me and this is after having a brand new database - looking in the logs I still see the error at compaction at 2am (Database: Corrupt or disc error: 8000ffff) so not sure if that is just a red herring.

Space wise I have New / Stored / Alerts set as 3750GB / 3750GB / 750GB totalling 8250GB on a 10TB HDD so plenty of space available.

I'll drop an email to support as well in case mine is a different problem - the disk / filesystem is all fine.
Same with me. Completely remove BI 5 and started fresh with same error.

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Database: Corrupt or disc error: 8000ffff

Yes I've been getting that error as well. Same time during the day but not every day.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've sent Ken some details, basically it seems to create a new clips2.dat file but doesn't seem to try and replace the old one before it errors, we'll see what he says :)

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
well it records and it says 1.5T/12.69T - and # of clips on bottom so that seems to be ok.

So D:\New for clips and not just D: and it should work?
I would try that and see if the red goes away. Mine has been error free now for 15hrs on 5.0.2.4

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I usually keep the BlueIris structure on each disk just to make it easy in future if I ever decide to split things off again, ie \BlueIris\New, \BlueIris\Stored etc.

I just logged in to update to the latest release and saw that some of the continuous video was showing as missing with blank alert images:
View attachment 46283

I've just done a repair / regenerate and it's lost all the alerts again but brought back in the continuous videos

View attachment 46284

Something strange is happening with 5.x for me and this is after having a brand new database - looking in the logs I still see the error at compaction at 2am (Database: Corrupt or disc error: 8000ffff) so not sure if that is just a red herring.

Space wise I have New / Stored / Alerts set as 3750GB / 3750GB / 750GB totalling 8250GB on a 10TB HDD so plenty of space available.

I'll drop an email to support as well in case mine is a different problem - the disk / filesystem is all fine.
So was this running 5.0.2.4 ?

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Where is the solution? My allocations were in the red, and I went and changed settings on save locations and amounts for various cameras to try to balance between two purple drives, deleted GBs of files, ran and reran the Repair DB a few times. Most of my old clips are gone, and new ones are not being created anymore.

Update: I believe the original problem was with the addition of BI5 (I didn't delete BI4), and hadn't noticed until recently but all the cameras started using 'NEW" as the clips folder, or as I saw in some cases, the AUX folders were being used but the camera setting would show "NEW".

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Where is the solution? My allocations were in the red, and I went and changed settings on save locations and amounts for various cameras to try to balance between two purple drives, deleted GBs of files, ran and reran the Repair DB a few times. Most of my old clips are gone, and new ones are not being created anymore.

Update: I believe the original problem was with the addition of BI5 (I didn't delete BI4), and hadn't noticed until recently but all the cameras started using 'NEW" as the clips folder, or as I saw in some cases, the AUX folders were being used but the camera setting would show "NEW".
So far the solution is to update to 5.0.2.4. This is a sporadic problem, depending on whether you use continuous recordings and multiple drives etc. So some people see no issues, but some are getting allocation errors. My settings have remained the same for months and suddenly start getting errors. Also when I went to BI5 it did not import my recording profiles correctly. I basically had to do a full check of my system to make sure nothing changed.
Would I still update to BI5....definitely but I expected some bumps in the road . BTW 5.0.2.4 still no errors since I updated.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have no idea how clips/archiving works. Is this right? main hdd is 12tb - backup 4tb...

This is all explained in the Bi built in help file.
Data base should NOT point to your desk top.
Click on the 3 dots to the right of the Drive letter, choose a properly named folder (why did you change the defaults)
Such as D:\BlueIris 5\db
D:\Blueiris 5\New
F:\Blueiris 5\Stored
Change your D: Limt size to 8300
Change your F: Limit size to 3550

Blue Iris Video Tutorials | IP Cam Talk

jkthomas3480

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So far the solution is to update to 5.0.2.4. This is a sporadic problem, depending on weather you use continuous recordings and multiple drives etc. So some people see no issues, but some are getting allocation errors. My settings have remained the same for months and suddenly start getting errors. Also when I went to BI5 it did not import my recording profiles correctly. I basically had to do a full check of my system to make sure nothing changed.
Would I still update to BI5....definitely but I expected some bumps in the road . BTW 5.0.2.4 still no errors since I updated.
I agree with you in that I would absolutely upgrade to 5 again. I'm fine with some bugs needing to be worked out. It is still a great piece of software for the price. I am currently on version 5.0.2.4 but still having the random issues that others are seeing. Hopefully it will all get sorted out soon.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
So far the solution is to update to 5.0.2.4. This is a sporadic problem, depending on weather you use continuous recordings and multiple drives etc. So some people see no issues, but some are getting allocation errors. My settings have remained the same for months and suddenly start getting errors. Also when I went to BI5 it did not import my recording profiles correctly. I basically had to do a full check of my system to make sure nothing changed.
Thanks, Tinman. I am on 5.0.2.4. I upgraded to and installed BI5 on zero day, but left the BI4 alone. Among my 8 cameras, some are continuous and some when triggered, across drives D: and E:. The Database and Alerts are left at default on C:.

Update: New alerts are now being created for most of the cameras.

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is all explained in the Bi built in help file.
Data base should NOT point to your desk top.
Click on the 3 dots to the right of the Drive letter, choose a properly named folder (why did you change the defaults)
Such as D:\BlueIris 5\db
D:\Blueiris 5\New
F:\Blueiris 5\Stored
Change your D: Limt size to 8300
Change your F: Limit size to 3550

Blue Iris Video Tutorials | IP Cam Talk
Thanks for the info.

I had errors pop-up with default. This was the only one that worked. For Database Path should be on my D: 12TB Purple HDD then?

I though the DB file should be on the OS installed drive?

Last edited:

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Database: Corrupt or disc error: 8000ffff

Yes I've been getting that error as well. Same time during the day but not every day.
Support came back to me and confirmed this should now be fixed in 5.0.2.4 - it's scheduled to happen at 2am so I'll check it in the morning

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I had errors pop-up with default. This was the only one that worked. For Database Path should be on my D: 12TB Purple HDD then?

I though the DB file should be on the OS installed drive?
As @looney2ns recommended, you need to change you allocation sizes. A 10tb drive has 9313gb usable space, and you are allocating 9300 leaving only 13gb free. That is too close. Leave around 5% free so put it at 8850. Same goes for the 4tb, it has 3725 usable, so allocate around 3540.

You would not have errors if you left the default Blue Iris locations. We're guessing at your setup/drive layout, since you only have D: and F: shown.

Assuming you have a C: drive for your OS, and it's a SSD, put db and alerts on C:

C:\Blue Iris\db
C:\Blue Iris\Alerts

Is there anything else on your 10TB D: drive? If it's only for the camera NEW location, you are fine putting new on the root of D:\ (that's what I'm doing).
Same goes for stored on F.

Question/thought: Why not put new on the 4TB drive, and stored on the 10TB. That way you are contantly writing to the cheaper 4tb drive, and intermittently writing to the 10tb?

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As @looney2ns recommended, you need to change you allocation sizes. A 10tb drive has 9313gb usable space, and you are allocating 9300 leaving only 13gb free. That is too close. Leave around 5% free so put it at 8850. Same goes for the 4tb, it has 3725 usable, so allocate around 3540.

You would not have errors if you left the default Blue Iris locations. We're guessing at your setup/drive layout, since you only have D: and F: shown.

Assuming you have a C: drive for your OS, and it's a SSD, put db and alerts on C:

C:\Blue Iris\db
C:\Blue Iris\Alerts

Is there anything else on your 10TB D: drive? If it's only for the camera NEW location, you are fine putting new on the root of D:\ (that's what I'm doing).
Same goes for stored on F.

Question/thought: Why not put new on the 4TB drive, and stored on the 10TB. That way you are contantly writing to the cheaper 4tb drive, and intermittently writing to the 10tb?
@Walrus & @looney2ns does it again. They fixed it. I had Do NOT monitor free space (from some NAS) checked, db was not on main C drive, and my space was not set right - it should be 95% of the drive space. It is all working great now.

Thanks

Last edited:

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For starters, uncheck the 'Do NOT monitor' assuming it is a hard drive mounted in your BI PC, and not an external NAS.

Taking this offline to your PM

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For starters, uncheck the 'Do NOT monitor' assuming it is a hard drive mounted in your BI PC, and not an external NAS.

Taking this offline to your PM
Thank you very much. I didn't want to fill this thread up too much. Once we get to the bottom of this I will edit other post for anyone else with this issue.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree with you in that I would absolutely upgrade to 5 again. I'm fine with some bugs needing to be worked out. It is still a great piece of software for the price. I am currently on version 5.0.2.4 but still having the random issues that others are seeing. Hopefully it will all get sorted out soon.
Mine is still error free after I updated to 5.0.2.4. If you can, you may need to delete all clips and DB and start from scratch as I did. I'm thinking from 5.0.2.2 and 5.0.2.3 it was not creating the alert pointers in continuous clips right. So you are never going to get those alerts back from those clips. On my demo machine which does NO continuous recordings, I had no issues with it at all. Well at least this is my theory for now :)
This is a good example of why you just can't always roll back on updates, some bugs can have issues that can't be reversed !

jkthomas3480

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Mine is still error free after I updated to 5.0.2.4. If you can, you may need to delete all clips and DB and start from scratch as I did. I'm thinking from 5.0.2.2 and 5.0.2.3 it was not creating the alert pointers in continuous clips right. So you are never going to get those alerts back from those clips. On my demo machine which does NO continuous recordings, I had no issues with it at all. Well at least this is my theory for now :)
This is a good example of why you just can't always roll back on updates, some bugs can have issues that can't be reversed !
I deleted (renamed) my DB yesterday and started from scratch as well. I also changed my allocation settings as I was allocating 2 TB to the "Stored" folder that I am not even using. As of this morning I have no errors on clips, all clips are there as they should be and the clip storage screen looks good.