(solved) Dahua SmartPSS advice welcome, cannot access camera snapshots

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Update: post #2 contains the apparent solution: launch the software using Run As Administrator.

My landlord is interested in adding cameras to some of his other locations. He'd like to be able to view snapshots from the cameras. I've picked up an inexpensive 2MP Starlight PTZ from Andy as a test setup, and I can view its video feed remotely using Dahua SmartPSS, pan and tilt, and use the built-in laser pointer to tease cats. Wait, that last part is not yet a feature :) (but it should be!). where's my duct tape ANYWAY, SmartPSS cannot display snapshots that the camera has saved to its microSD card, which seems strange when it has no problem pulling a 4Mbit/second live video stream.

Adding to the puzzle, a computer on the same LAN as the camera also can't download the snapshots. A screenshot of the FAIL is below. Anyone got advice on why I can't view camera snapshots remotely?

1577559278137.png

If this strategy doesn't work out, then my other strategy would be to have the landlord set up an FTP account on his domain, and have the cams FTP snapshots to it.

Last edited:

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Update: I think I've found the solution, which is to launch the software one time using Run As Administrator so it can get something configured. We have a few softwares at work that behave that way; they need one run as an Admin, or else a permissions adjustment on certain configuration files, in order to settle down and work properly.

After one Run As Administrator, I can now run the program at normal non-Admin settings and view/download stuff the camera has saved to its microSD card.

Update #2: the software had a relapse and apparently needs to be run as Administrator for consistent function. Hey Dahua: 2003 called, it wants its software back :rolleyes:

Last edited: