SOLVED : DS-2CD2142FWD-IS Upgrading failed. Upgrading failed. Upgrading failed.

1slomofo

n3wb
Reaction score
This is all I ever see!!

I have 5 x DS-2CD2142FWD-IS WR 4mb - I paid $195 each from a real USA seller. Red and White box etc... I'm pretty sure that they are not Chinese region.

I am trying to upgrade the firmware. Why? Because I have the motion detection white flash in the day / dark flash at night. It is HORRIBLE.

Out of my 5 cameras 4 of them exhibit the motion detection flash bug, and one that does not. The one that does NOT have the issue has a different firmware version.

4 x Cameras running V5.4.1 build 160525 (these have the issue)
1 x Camera running V5.4.0 build 160401 (this one works fine, yes even though the firmware is older)

Here is why I am so upset - I cannot get my cameras to update no matter what, and I feel like I have tried everything in my ability. I am hoping you guys can help.

Here is what I have tried so far :

1. Contact Hikvision - 2 emails over the past 2 weeks and both have gone unanswered (not very helpful)
2. Tried to upgrade to the most current firmware "V5.4.5 170124" Via Google Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Internet Explorer and IE Tab for Chrome.

My Cameras are connected to a POE switch which my computer is also connected to. They have static IP's on my LAN. I connect directly to the camera in Internet Explorer via a Wired 1000mb Cat 6 cable(no wireless). When I specify which .DAV file to update from it then shows a progress bar 0% for about 2 seconds and immediately says "Upgrading Failed"

I have tried :
V5.4.1 strait to V5.4.5 which failed.
V5.4.1 > V5.4.3 which failed.
V5.4.1 > V5.4.4 which failed.

I even risked updating my "good" working firmware camera version which got the same error message.

So what now?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
V5.4.1 strait to V5.4.5 which failed.
V5.4.1 > V5.4.3 which failed.
V5.4.1 > V5.4.4 which failed.
There are multiple instances of these versions, for the different camera series for which they are available.
You would get 'Upgrading failed' if you used the wrong type of firmware for your cameras.
Just in case you may have done - here is a link to firmware for your cameras: DOWNLOAD PORTAL

1slomofo

n3wb
Reaction score
There are multiple instances of these versions, for the different camera series for which they are available.
You would get 'Upgrading failed' if you used the wrong type of firmware for your cameras.
Just in case you may have done - here is a link to firmware for your cameras: DOWNLOAD PORTAL
Thanks.

I had previously tried downloading those exact same files from that same page. I also downloaded from the hikvision.com (usa) website directly from the Cameras product page (support tab). As well as downloading from the hikvision FTP site. At this point I am 100% sure I am using the correct firmware for my cameras.

Further more, I have also tried changing the destination on my harddrive where I am "unzipping" the .DAV file. I have tried My Documents Folder, Desktop, C: drive, heck even a USB drive. haha.

Is there any other way to update firmware other than the web interface of the camera itself? Does Hikvision make a utility or anything?

Thanks guys.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Does Hikvision make a utility or anything?
Odd that a non-CN camera won't update with the EN/ML firmware. And you've already eliminated WiFi, and too long folder path lengths.
Therefore unlikely to be any different - but a couple of other high-level ways to update:
Hikvision Batch Configuration Tool : Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.
ONVIF Device Manager (sourceforge.net) can do an ONVIF update to Hikvision cameras.

A low-level method that does bypass some protection therefore increases the chance of 'bricking' is the Hikvision tftp updater tool.
Tool and instructions (but not suitable firmware) in the first link here : Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English

And a lower level even, that would provide more detail, would be to hook up a connection to the serial console. But we'll not go there ...
There will be something simple being missed.
AV with network access protection?
Any clues for region in the serial numbers?

1slomofo

n3wb
Reaction score
I will post up one of my serial numbers when I get back home tonight. I didn't do that in OP because I am not sure what I needed omit.

1slomofo

n3wb
Reaction score
IS20161904BBWR644407522

I switched some of the numerical numbers around.

KGT

n3wb
Reaction score
This may sound obvious, but have you downloaded and installed the latest Hikvision browser plugin?

Had to ask. :)

Good luck to you!

1slomofo

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh the sweet vision of a progress bar that moves!

20170605_172308.jpg

I was able to update utilizing the Hikvision Batch Configuration tool with NO ISSUES AT ALL!. - Literally 1 minute after installing the software I was watching the cameras update. I still have no idea why I had the original issue updating through the web GUI. Nevertheless, we are done here. Thank you for the help! I spent weeks working on this on and off.. Glad to finally be done.