[Solved] Help with RTSP Stream

MeCJay12

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello! I am having trouble getting a RTSP stream from my Dahua NK8BB7Z. I have it setup to port forward port 554 and port 80 to the IP of my video server (only). For some reason, I can get to the webpage but I cannot get a video stream with either Blue Iris or VLC. I can get it on the local network and I have verified that the RTSP port forward settings are correct/similar to the HTTP port forward settings. Is there anything special or wierd with these cameras like an extra port that needs open or a built in firewall or something? Thanks in advance!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you trying to view the stream locally or remotely?
Using Blue Iris or VLC?

If viewing on Blue Iris:

If your Blue Iris server and the camera are on the same LAN subnet and you are trying to access the camera stream remotely (via WAN) then you don't forward port 554, instead you forward Blue Iris' port (default is 81 if not used) to the LAN IP of the Blue Iris server.

Insure the camera's IP and the BI server IP's are static.

The URL to access BI's UI3 webserver remotely would be http://Blue-Iris-WAN_IP: BI_port/ui3.htm

If your WAN is not static and you are using DDNS, then the URL to use remotely would be http://Blue-Iris_hostname: BI_port/ui3.htm

MeCJay12

n3wb
Reaction score
My BI server is not on the same network as the camera and I am using DDNS. I can get from the BI server to the webUI of the camera (xyz.ddns.com:19080) but not from the BI server to the camera RTSP (xyz.ddns.com:19554).

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd remove port 19080 from the cam's URL.
If no joy (still leaving 19080 off) instead in router forward 554 to cam IP and put 554 (internal) in place of 19554 (external) over to the right (Media/Video/RTSP).

MeCJay12

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, yes. externally the port is 19554 and that is forwarded to internal port 554.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try putting the actual internet IP address in, in place of the DDNS . Is the problem with the DDNS resolution in BI or is it a problem with the connection and RSTP.

MeCJay12

n3wb
Reaction score
I confirmed that it doesn't work with VLC.

Using an IP doesn't change anything in BI or VLC.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris's IP camera configuration page is a mess, with lots of ambiguity about which port and protocol it is going to use. So get it working in VLC first with a URL like the one @TonyR posted. (change Camera-IP and port number as needed).

Is your RTSP port forward (19554 -> 554) for TCP, UDP, or both? It usually uses TCP but to be safe you might try forwarding both protocols.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there anything special or wierd with these cameras like an extra port that needs open or a built in firewall or something?
No hidden extra port or firewall. You might need to have the correct gateway IP set in the camera however (it should be the IP of the camera's local router of course). Not 100% sure about that being necessary.