(SOLVED)Lorex NVR camera setup issue

Oct 3, 2024
Southern California
SOLVED: CRAPPY WIRING OR MULTIPLE BAD CRIMPS? EITHER WAY I FINALLY GOT CONNECTION.

Hello all!

I'm at a standstill so I'm resorting to joining this wonderful forum:)

skipping to the issue:

Lorex system from costco. POE wired.

I currently have 3 cameras installed and running well.
2 indoors and 1 outdoors towards driveway.

Im currently installing the 2nd outdoor camera and the issue is I've ran the wiring from the nvr - to attic- to soffit area - to now outdoors. tested with the ethernet tool and all numbers 1-8 minus G light up stating connection is good. now! I plug in the wiring to the nvr and to the camera and i get no connection?

all ports tested on the nvr already good to go there, all cameras work even the one mentioned being installed. but for some odd reason im not getting connection around the attic??

I've made a piggyback ethernet cable to test all cameras and ports. 100% connection.
Zero connection with outdoors connection even tho the rj45 tester thing says its all good.

futhest cable runsabout 50ft from driveway to where my nvr is located.
this issue one is about 15ft going to nvr, attic, then outdoors thru a hole i made in the soffit.

Can anyone chime in on this issue? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Your tester only tests continuity but that doesn't mean it can pass POE. We have seen this countless times here.

Sounds like the cable thru the attic is pinched or kinked or a small tear/opening.

It is rare for IP camera interference over an electric line, but maybe.

Reactions: Iridium1234
Your tester only tests continuity but that doesn't mean it can pass POE. We have seen this countless times here.

Sounds like the cable thru the attic is pinched or kinked or a small tear/opening.

It is rare for IP camera interference over an electric line, but maybe.
Oh makes sense. and I've ran 2 seperate wires thru the attic and both had no tears or were pinched. im truly stumped on this one tbh.

I was wondering if it was interference considering it passes by a light fixture, other ethernet wires (whole house network wires) and the laundry room exhaust fan.

When crossing 120VAC or 240VAC lines try do so at a right angle or as close to that as possible, avoid running parallel unless separated by 3 feet or more; stay away from line-powered devices by 3 feet.

Did you wire both ends to either T-568B or T-568A specs?

Did you try that 1 camera with a good cable while next to the NVR?

Solved:

I'm so lost but i ended up running 1 more new 15ft cable and this last one connected just fine. I clearly dont see any kinks or abstructions but im glad this one worked. btw all the wiring came from the same roll that lorex provided. might be issues in the wiring from factory but connection issue is fixed.

The one I added this time is the backyard view*
IMG_8811 2.jpg

btw all the wiring came from the same roll that lorex provided. might be issues in the wiring from factory but connection issue is fixed.
FWIW, many if not most big-box store NVR & camera kits come with CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) cable and it is NOT recommended especially for POE cameras....UL won't even approve it so that should tell you something!

Only pure, solid copper is recommended.

When crossing 120VAC or 240VAC lines try do so at a right angle or as close to that as possible, avoid running parallel unless separated by 3 feet or more; stay away from line-powered devices by 3 feet.

Did you wire both ends to either T-568B or T-568A specs?

Did you try that 1 camera with a good cable while next to the NVR?
Thanks for the advice. I didnt check to see how close they were to the power cables but they defenitly ran parallel with coax cables and other ethernet cables. I wired them T-568A spec as per looking at the factory cables. and I did try the camera with other cables various lengths and different ports. Issue was fixed tho. seems like there was an unseen kink somewhere or all of my crimps were crap lol

FWIW, many if not most big-box store NVR & camera kits come with CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) cable and it is NOT recommended especially for POE cameras....UL won't even approve it so that should tell you something!

Only pure, solid copper is recommended.
I did not know that. ill be scraping this wiring and getting the good stuff then. Thanks for the info!