Some (Dahua) QC8816 NVR fan noise louder than others.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have noticed that the case fan starts making noise If it's not exactly right in it's holder after I put the cover on. Just have to move it around a little.

Reaction score
You might be able to just replace the fan with a higher quality one. I've replaced a desktop power supply fan before that had froze up. :( If you have the same NVR as I have it looks like a standard size fan. I'd have to look again to be sure. The fan was hard wired to the power supply instead of a plug so you might have to do some surgery.

Thanks for the info.
Could i just buy a brand new power supply? not just the fan inside the power supply?

famx

n3wb
Reaction score
QC8816 NVR

It is not just a faulty, low quality fan inside the power supply that makes loud noise, but also heatsink fan on the motherboard. Someone has posted video on youtube
of thier QC808 and that's exactly the same noise that QC8816 NVR also makes.

Basically all the fans inside needs to be replaced to make his NVR nice and quiet. Whoever works at Qsee at the quality control really needs to get their act together and address this issue ASAP or gets fired. This is unacceptable.

On a search for new heatsink replacement ....any ideas where to get one and what brand.

...and I found one, but there is no information how loud it is :(

Last edited by a moderator:

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I watched a little of that "noisy fan" video. That is way too loud. It sounds like it's rubbing against something. I don't know how that passed QC or if they even have a QC. :( Fortunately my fans are all quiet.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I took power supply apart, and took fan out, the fan noise alone makes noise of over 45dba. Qsee should really be ashamed of themselves of approving such a loud power supply.
Did you put in a different fan...?

Reaction score

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering returning my QC8816 from Costco at $1299 + tax for this unit.
Newegg has no tax.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881192296&cm_re=q-see-_-81-192-296-_-Product

Any reason why I shouldn't?
Cons: Only downside I can see if 3MP, field of view is slightly more narrow, and a max of 8 cameras, can't output to a siren, ext. motion sensor.
Pros: Quite, Save Money.
The Costco system I bought had 4MP cams and a few reasons why I wouldn't send it back...

The 8816 can hold up to 4 HD for a max of 24T if you need that.

Also it supports up to 4k cams.

16 channels with POE.

3T HD was included.

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glue is standard industry practice for simply ensuring components do not come loose durring shipping/transport.. there are no packing peanuts on the inside of the cases.

I got a bonus a few decades back when I was working for a budget PC builder, they introduced these crappy new win modems that went into a socket so small the weight of the card would unseat its connection.. the first few months we had to talk everyone who bought a computer through taking the panel off and reseating the modem when they found it did not show up in hardware manager.

Went to harbor freight on my lunch break, bought a half dozen hot glue guns and handed them out to the guys on the warehouse floor.. about a month later the calls finally dried up and one of the owners noticed the glue guns, when they found out what I had done they were so happy they cut me a nice check.... too bad for them I simply stole the idea from another manufacturer whom I had encountered a small dab of hotglue on all the connections.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update on fan noise..... :)
Had to replace the power supply fan this week on our Q-See 8816 NVR. It was starting to make noise as the cheap bushings were wearing out.
It's 60mm x60mm and 10mm thick. 12V / .3 A

I replaced it with a 60mm x 60mm 15mm thick fan. Rated at 12V / .12 A
It's a little thicker but fits snug.
Quieter than a desktop PC. :)

It's a little tricky taking the power supply apart. Test the wire connections first before you solder them.
If you can't find a compatible fan just pull the old one out and connect a fan on the outside of the power supply box and use power from the HD cable.

I also have another external power supply fan pushing air in and powered from an extra HD cable.

Reaction score
Update on fan noise..... :)
Had to replace the power supply fan this week on our Q-See 8816 NVR. It was starting to make noise as the cheap bushings were wearing out.
It's 60mm x60mm and 10mm thick. 12V / .3 A

I replaced it with a 60mm x 60mm 15mm thick fan. Rated at 12V / .12 A
It's a little thicker but fits snug.
Quieter than a desktop PC. :)

It's a little tricky taking the power supply apart. Test the wire connections first before you solder them.
If you can't find a compatible fan just pull the old one out and connect a fan on the outside of the power supply box and use power from the HD cable.

I also have another external power supply fan pushing air in and powered from an extra HD cable.

Do you have a link to the power supply fan you used for the replacement?

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Amazon is a great place to check for computer fans in general. Check the size and voltage of the fan you need. Just put in the dimensions mm X mm X thickness and see what is available. They tend to cost between $5 and $15 and many have free shipping.
Example: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=fan+60mm+x+60mm+x+10
I have a post on the previous page that shows a 12V fan replacement where a 5V one was in a DVR for additional reference.

Jim

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have a link to the power supply fan you used for the replacement?
I got the fan at Frys Electronics but there is no link to that fan online. As your power supply is different you would still need to take the fan out and check it's specs like xgsound mentioned. Make sure the fan is pushing air out when you hook it up...