Some questions (Widget & timeout alert)

orbital.xp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm using Blue iris mobile on my android device, and I was wondering :

- Is it possible to have an alert on the phone when the blue iris webserver cannot be reached ? for example, when the computer running BI has crashed, and BI is not running anymore on it, or when the PC running blue iris has lost the internet connection, it would be great to have a timeout error on the blue iris mobile app...

- When I use the widgets one my phone, I can select to see all the cameras on the same widget (but the images are stretched), but the other options (cyclic or individual) doesn't work (the widget keeps saying "LOADING")

Thank you!

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What you are asking for is not easily done with respect to crashing computers and network outages. Think about it, you are asking if your mobile device can get alerts when the machine is down, but how would your phone app know unless it is constantly pinging the BI server. Likewise, if your internet is down, how would the BI server get a message out to your phone to let you know?

You can get some indicators if BI stops working but the machine is up and running by using a wonderful tool by @Mike called Blue Iris Tools here: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?t=198

Can't answer your question about the widget though as I am using iPhone which doesn't have widgets. Hope another Android user can help you on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

orbital.xp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Ruppmeister,

Thank you for your answer. The idea was to have the BI android app making one ping request at time intervals of 10 mins, for example, to the BI webserver. The android app shall detect if the mobile data is enabled or not, to avoid false detection of webserver timeout. Do you think that this is so much difficult to implement?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I suppose since it is software the capability could be implemented, but not sure this is going to make it to the dev to add based on usability. This is something that might have an impact on battery life - not sure how much, but some. Then there is the problem of what are you going to do if you find out your server is offline? What might be causing it? Power outage? Server crashed? Thief smashed it/took it? So many things could be wrong when the server stops responding that its hard to tell what a user might do.

Best bet is to install the BI Tools to alert you of BI going down and allowing BI Tools to restart BI server.