Source of trailing artifacts

DavidAJ

n3wb
Reaction score
I am seeing significant trailing artifacts when viewing alerts on UI3 and also through Team Viewer. For example, if someone is walking on the camera, you will see them at their current position and also an image of the past several frames at the same time. At first I thought it was because of reviewing the alerts remotely over UI3 but I also got the same results on TeamViewer which, because TeamViewer is duplicating what is seen on the local PC, would seem to indicate that the artifacts would also happen if viewed locally. However, From Ui3, I tried exporting a file of a video section that has artifacts and the resulting .avi file did NOT have artifacts.

I was not experiencing these artifacts during viewing prior to yesterday. Yesterday I added a 10 TB backup drive for "stored" images but I have a one TB SSD that these new alerts and clips are on so I don't know how the new drive could be affecting these new clips. The only other thing I changed was to set the BI system to run in "console mode".

BTW, BI is running on a current gereration i5 machine using only about 15% CPU with 6 cameras.

Any suggestions as to the typical cause of artifacts as I've described? Thanks for your help.

David

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am seeing significant trailing artifacts when viewing alerts on UI3 and also through Team Viewer. For example, if someone is walking on the camera, you will see them at their current position and also an image of the past several frames at the same time. At first I thought it was because of reviewing the alerts remotely over UI3 but I also got the same results on TeamViewer which, because TeamViewer is duplicating what is seen on the local PC, would seem to indicate that the artifacts would also happen if viewed locally. However, From Ui3, I tried exporting a file of a video section that has artifacts and the resulting .avi file did NOT have artifacts.

I was not experiencing these artifacts during viewing prior to yesterday. Yesterday I added a 10 TB backup drive for "stored" images but I have a one TB SSD that these new alerts and clips are on so I don't know how the new drive could be affecting these new clips. The only other thing I changed was to set the BI system to run in "console mode".

BTW, BI is running on a current gereration i5 machine using only about 15% CPU with 6 cameras.

Any suggestions as to the typical cause of artifacts as I've described? Thanks for your help.

David
in the camera interface match the iframe interval to the fps. dont use smart codec disable any "+" codec.
also try disabling "also bvr" in the camera properties video tab.
What cameras are you using?

DavidAJ

n3wb
Reaction score
I
in the camera interface match the iframe interval to the fps. dont use smart codec disable any "+" codec.
also try disabling "also bvr" in the camera properties video tab.
What cameras are you using?
Thanks for the response.

The other thing that changed yesterday was the the system prompted me to update BI, which I did.

It turns out that I was set at 15fps in the video properties tab in BI (and the "Also BVR" tab was not checked). On the camera interface, a Dahua IPC-HDW5231RP-Z purchased from Andy, the frame rate was set at 10 fps and the iFrame interval was set at 20 on both the main and sub stream. "Smart codec" was already off. The encode mode is set at H.264H. I'm not at all clear on the relation between those settings but I set everything at 15 fps. I'll try to report back when I have some history and see if this fixes the problem.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I

Thanks for the response.

The other thing that changed yesterday was the the system prompted me to update BI, which I did.

It turns out that I was set at 15fps in the video properties tab in BI (and the "Also BVR" tab was not checked). On the camera interface, a Dahua purchased from Andy, the frame rate was set at 10 fps and the iFrame interval was set at 20 on both the main and sub stream. "Smart codec" was already off. The encode mode is set at H.264H. I'm not at all clear on the relation between those settings but I set everything at 15 fps. I'll try to report back when I have some history and see if this fixes the problem.
The blue iris fps will auto adjust that setting will likely always be higher than your actual fps. The other cause for this symptom is packet loss usually do to inferior cables or crimps.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I want to report back here that fenderman's advice of matching the iframe interval to the fps in the camera settings (not BI settings) seemed to solve the problem for me. Thanks so much for the help.
Thanks for the followup confirmation.