SPDV (Same Plate, Different Vehicle)

Reaction score
So today I was doing some stuff at my computer and as always, have UI3 up on the right screen. I noticed a black Ram pickup truck make the turn and thought that the plate seemed odd. It just caught my eye. So I played it back and it was a vanity plate that I had seen before. As a matter of fact, I had used captures of that plate in some of my posts here. So I went and found that plate and it was on a white Range Rover back in July 2020.

So I checked with Autocheck.com and it is listed for a 2014 Land Rover SUV 4Door.

LPR East 2021-02-02 05.49.05.846 PM.jpg INTS.20200719_205237125_1.jpg TX ALLILOU.JPG

So I guess that they traded the Range Rover for a Ram pickup. Since it is a vanity plate, I think they move the plate to the new vehicle. I wonder how long Autocheck.com takes to update the plate?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We so need to know what he uses for this or is it observation LOL...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
He said in his post "As part of my surveillance system, I also have ALPR cameras. The system can identify 'plate switchers'. It basically looks for the same plate on different vehicles."

So does he have a program that is doing that or is it part of the camera or NVR or just observations on his part? I believe he uses the Z12 and 5442, so it isn't in the camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
He answered in another post just now.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can tell you how I do it, not any type of secret.

Plate ABC 123 is identified on a Toyota Prius on Jan 1, confidence score was 85%

Plate ABC 123 is identified on a Toyota Prius on Jan 2, confidence score was 90%

Plate ABC 123 is identified on a Ferrari 360 on Jan 3, confidence score was 50% - you could raise an alert here if you wanted to but odds are good the vehicle is a Toyota.

Plate ABC 123 is identified on a Toyota Prius on Jan 4, confidence score was 89%

You can see a trend here. On my system (using a database of all the plate matches) I have logic that can say that the vehicle associated with ABC 123 is a Toyota Prius. So when OpenALPR (or whatever you are using to identify make/model) says it is a Ferrari, the Ferrari guess is probably wrong.

That is one way I use the data from repeated sightings of a single plate.

Then I also use the same system for SPDV (love that term @samplenhold ).

Plate ABC 123 is identified on a RAM Pickup on Jan 5, the confidence score is 90% - at this point, I would trigger an alert. The confidence is high and the plate is no longer on a Toyota. In my case, I send an alert for a human review. I capture about 1000 plates a day and using the logic above it might trigger 3 or 4 alerts a day. Most of them are just legit people changing vehicles legally. However, there are people in the area who switch back and forth.

Take this guy for example:

benz.jpg

ford.jpg

This guy has been switching his plate between these two vehicles for more than 1 year. He actually triggers multiple alarms in my system, both for switching the plate between vehicles and because that format plate should never appear on a pickup truck in our area.

All pickup trucks use a plate format of AA 0000 so putting a passenger plate on a truck tosses up an alarm in my system.

My software is totally custom, so I can't really share it - but the concepts I'm using are not rocket science. The user @mlapaglia is doing some amazing work on his OpenALPR add-on, perhaps he can add some of these features. I tried sending him a couple DM's but he has not replied.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is cool stuff - I do hope that one of those more capable than me can add that to their programs here!

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm also hoping that @mlapaglia can add the autocheck.com feature. That is amazing that it reports current plate to car results. OpenALPR is just so bad at car make/model. At night it just guesses since its possible to even determine.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I have yet to go down this road of OpenALPR. So is the webhook process of @mlapaglia mutually exclusive from the process developed by @Gymratz, @DLONG2 and documented by @tech101? Do both set up the database?
It has nothing to do with any of those others. It runs in its own standalone container and all the programs required are inside the container. You don't have to mess with any dependencies. That is the nice thing about containers. It's much easier to deploy than the others. No compiling or anything like that. Install Docker, pull the image, and start it. Done.

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with any of those others. It runs in its own standalone container and all the programs required are inside the container. You don't have to mess with any dependencies. That is the nice thing about containers. It's much easier to deploy than the others. No compiling or anything like that. Install Docker, pull the image, and start it. Done.
Ok...I guess I need to read up on containers since I have no idea what that means.

So is there a database, like SQL or something, included in his webhook process? Or do you need to take the 'output' of that process to build a database?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm also hoping that @mlapaglia can add the autocheck.com feature. That is amazing that it reports current plate to car results. OpenALPR is just so bad at car make/model. At night it just guesses since its possible to even determine.
What do you mean? It works great. I'm happy we are finally get those fancy Peugot's here in the US, really nice trucky design for a compact car

1612466636728.png

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Everything he provides in the image is all you need when its run. You don't have to do anything other than a few steps to set it up.

Inside the container runs a webserver. The webhooks from OpenALPR get sent to that webserver via IP forwarding. So you have to login to your OpenALPR dashboard and go to the webhook settings sections to put in your public facing IP of your home (or where ever you want the webhooks sent). Then you have to login to your firewall and forward the port that is needed (3859 I think it is if I remember correctly) to the host where you will be running the docker container. Once you do that, webhooks will start being sent to that IP/port where his container will listen for the webhooks and begin building a database. Then you can login to the container from inside your network from the local ip address of the host running it with the port number at the end. So something like http://<local_p_address>:3589.

His docs on his repo are a bit out of date. You no longer have to create a appsettings.json file. Everything is configured now after you login to the server the first time.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I've seen a good few vehicles here with a front real plate, and a paper temp tag on the back which of course doesn't match

Living in Houston every second vehicle has an expired paper plate, so it happens pretty often

Reaction score
Everything he provides in the image is all you need when its run. You don't have to do anything other than a few steps to set it up.
Thanks. This helps. But a couple of questions:

Then you have to login to your firewall and forward the port that is needed
But most everyone here state 'port forwarding is bad' and should not be done. How is this safe in this instance?

webhooks will start being sent to that IP/port where his container will listen for the webhooks and begin building a database
Do you know what kind of a database it is?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Port forwarding to a camera is always bad. Port forwarding to other services has different levels of risk. Just depends upon the service. Forwarding to a docker container is pretty safe since it's isolated to begin with. Here is my answer to that question that was asked a week or so ago.

It's a sqlite DB.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yup. I did that with Ngnix Reverse Proxy Manager.