SSD M.2 and 16 GB OPTANE MEMORY

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Back to the SSD vs. OPTANE

I purchased two identical HP computers, i3-8100. In one I removed the optane and installed an SSD. The other remained as is. I tested both for speed and from a restart it took both machine 26 seconds to get to the sign in screen. It appears the speed is pretty much identical. Not to say its probably still better to have an SSD but for other reasons than speed.
That is not a proper test, it's only fast because it stores the portion of the os it needs for booting on the optane. The rest of the software and access to files will be slow, particularly if they are not often used or very large.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is not a proper test, it's only fast because it stores the portion of the os it needs for booting on the optane. The rest of the software and access to files will be slow, particularly if they are not often used or very large.
And if you have lots of uncached hard drive I/O going on at the same time, as is typical in a PC, hard drive performance goes in the toilet due to seek time. SSDs handle that much better. That may not be a deal breaker on a BI PC as long as you dedicate it to the task and disable things like Windows update that can start up randomly, but its a big deal on a PC that sees typical use.