Ssh into nvr behind firewall.

jamie7823

n3wb
Reaction score
In short form
I install cameras at work and often have no WiFi when installing cameras and rely on cell coverage.
Sometimes I can’t get into the router to forward the ports to use my cell phone to aim cameras. I have an ssh server at home. And am trying to build a tunnel from a my client back to my house and maybe forward those ports at my house to access it from my cell phone. Do I need to use -L from the business location. I still haven’t grasped tho whole ssh thing good.

ip_poe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm confused, so you install cameras for businesses but you don't have access to their wifi (or are just out of range) and therefore cannot access the NVR that's setup in their network? But you're able to access their network from your home network (Through a VPN tunnel or something similar?)?

jamie7823

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm confused, so you install cameras for businesses but you don't have access to their wifi (or are just out of range) and therefore cannot access the NVR that's setup in their network? But you're able to access their network from your home network (Through a VPN tunnel or something similar?)?
Mostly outside the plant is no wifi. The company has a remote tech group which don’t want to forward any ports. I do not have a vpn to the location. I am trying to figure out if ssh to my home server could be an answer.

ip_poe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mostly outside the plant is no wifi. The company has a remote tech group which don’t want to forward any ports. I do not have a vpn to the location. I am trying to figure out if ssh to my home server could be an answer.
Well you'd need to be able to VPN to the network for any hope of ssh access (since they obviously don't want open ports). You usually can VPN from a cell phone, by which then you should be able to access the NVR directly from your phone and no need for ssh. But whoever runs the networking might need to open the NVR ports to the VPN IPs, or yeah if you have the access you can just do it yourself via ssh.

But if they have some difficult VPN that you could only access from a home PC or router you can setup that VPN first and then VPN to your home network and access theirs. The connection might be slow though.

Last edited:

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We setup up something similar at a few client sites. We created a L2TP/IPsec VPN using Mikrotik routers. Client sites connect to a dedicated IP on our side allowing us direct access to the camera networks. Our mobile devices are able to connect to the VPN and manage the NVR/Cameras/Routers but due to security concerns we dropped that functionality. I wouldn't recommend using a home PC for this.

jamie7823

n3wb
Reaction score
I was
We setup up something similar at a few client sites. We created a L2TP/IPsec VPN using Mikrotik routers. Client sites connect to a dedicated IP on our side allowing us direct access to the camera networks. Our mobile devices are able to connect to the VPN and manage the NVR/Cameras/Routers but due to security concerns we dropped that functionality. I wouldn't recommend using a home PC for this.
hoping to do ssh local port forwarding to my nvr server port and vpn to my house and connect to my ssh server to connect to the nvr. Sounds like I’m not real clear on the ssh functions though...

Reaction score
have you tried this service?

it would need to be installed onto a machine in your work network, you may be able to use this to come up with a work around solution.