SSH won't accept password

natinadaka

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Camera is IPC-T5442T-ZEB with firmware V2.840.15OG00D.0.R, Build Date: 2022-08-18 (EmpireTech firmware).

Setting -> System -> Safety -> System Services

SSH is unchecked by default. I checked it, then was able to SSH to the camera with:

ssh admin@192.168.1.108

It asks for password, but when I enter the same password I used to log into the Web GUI, it doesn't accept it.

The Web 3.0 Operation Manual has what I think is an awkwardly worded description of the option: "You can enable SSH authentication to perform safety management."

What is this service supposed to do?

natinadaka

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wanted to report that I got a second camera, exact same model but did not update the firmware. And I get the exact same behavior. Firmware on second camera is 2.820.15OG004.0.R, Build Date: 2021-07-29

Has anyone enabled SSH and been able to log in?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
SSH is for dahua Remote Technical Support, if camera meet some comlexed issues, and factory will not fix up is, and can use SSH to make dahua engineers do remote support, so this is not for end users.

natinadaka

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification. I think most users would assume that if they turn on SSH it would be accessible to them directly, so it would probably be good to get this clarified in the docs and the UI. Of course, it would also be nice if the SSH functionality was user-accessible.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While it is a great suggestion, you have to remember that the homeowner isn't the Hikvision and Dahua target audience, it is the professional installers, so we cannot purchase directly and thus they will not take your phone call for support related questions or suggestions - they will tell you to talk to the installer you purchased from. Many people have bought a Hikvision or Dahua from Amazon or some shady foreign website and when they call Hikvision or Dahua for support they basically tell them to go pound salt. We simply are not their intended market to sell to and they will not take your call for support...Lot's of threads here confirming this, including one from a few months ago where someone tried to call for support and they told them sorry talk to your installer....

We are just fortunate to be able to get our hands on these types of cameras and a forum like this to help us troubleshoot when needed.

In "theory", these authorized professional installers are trained for these cameras and to know what every setting means, but the reality is I bet many of us here know more about these cameras than the professional installers LOL.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Camera is IPC-T5442T-ZEB with firmware V2.840.15OG00D.0.R, Build Date: 2022-08-18 (EmpireTech firmware).

Setting -> System -> Safety -> System Services

SSH is unchecked by default. I checked it, then was able to SSH to the camera with:

ssh admin@192.168.1.108

It asks for password, but when I enter the same password I used to log into the Web GUI, it doesn't accept it.

The Web 3.0 Operation Manual has what I think is an awkwardly worded description of the option: "You can enable SSH authentication to perform safety management."

What is this service supposed to do?
Normally SSH into an appliance is used for maintenance like firmware upgrades. But somewhere there should be a SSH user list as that should be a separate login list from your client viewing list. Also you should regenerate a new SSH key just in case the default keys were shared.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
While it is a great suggestion, you have to remember that the homeowner isn't the Hikvision and Dahua target audience, it is the professional installers, so we cannot purchase directly and thus they will not take your phone call for support related questions or suggestions - they will tell you to talk to the installer you purchased from. Many people have bought a Hikvision or Dahua from Amazon or some shady foreign website and when they call Hikvision or Dahua for support they basically tell them to go pound salt. We simply are not their intended market to sell to and they will not take your call for support...Lot's of threads here confirming this, including one from a few months ago where someone tried to call for support and they told them sorry talk to your installer....

We are just fortunate to be able to get our hands on these types of cameras and a forum like this to help us troubleshoot when needed.

In "theory", these authorized professional installers are trained for these cameras and to know what every setting means, but the reality is I bet many of us here know more about these cameras than the professional installers LOL.
I think I replied to this before, I am a Hikvision installer for a security company that is a dealer, and I get little to no help from Hikvision and have to figure it out on my own. Its their password resetting procedures I don't like. I think they should release a program that will generate that 24hr password, because that is the only thing I bother with them. No training was offered. But for me coming from an IT infrastructure installing background, it wasn't that hard to pick up because its just like setting up a small server farm, but the servers are the cameras, behind a gateway device. What do I run at my house? mostly Amcrest but I get free hikvision cameras from my corporate upgrades and others that I have to fix. I wouldn't be afraid to buy from an online source even if OEM technical support will not support them. Its not the first time I saw that. I remember the office bought a laptop for one of the service guys and the warranty was expired weeks before it showed up at the door and HP technical support didn't want to warranty it nor even RMA it. They gave me a couple of places to call to get a new HDD replaced. I ended up fixing it myself and sending the HDD directly back to that mfg.

natinadaka

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
While it is a great suggestion, you have to remember that the homeowner isn't the Hikvision and Dahua target audience, it is the professional installers, so we cannot purchase directly and thus they will not take your phone call for support related questions or suggestions - they will tell you to talk to the installer you purchased from.
Yeah, I did get the sense that was the case (that Hikvision and Dahua don't want to/don't talk to end users). I wouldn't contact them, anyway since based on what I've seen thus far (still being very new here) one is likely to get better support on this forum.

That said, I also go the sense (maybe wrong) that sellers like Andy have firmware images available specifically for the cameras they sell and may be able to advocate for certain fixes, new features, etc. if enough of their customers want them. Something like SSH would be nice for a number of reasons--one of which would be to support simple automation--and given the DIY ethos here I assume others would be able to put SSH access to use as well.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah Andy has great relationships with Dahua and many members here have made suggestions to Andy that he passed back to Dahua and they implement and then send back to Andy to distribute to his customers.