Starlink and Amcrest IP cams....

Martin2017

n3wb
Reaction score
I know I'm way over my head tossing a question out here as I'm really a novice... still I've managed to keep a few systems up and running so I thought I ask....

I've got bunch of Amcrest IP cams and have relocated to a new location. In the past I did the port forwarding thing, used NoIP to deal with the IP not being fixed and everything worked for remote viewing (both on the IP Camera Viewer App and direct to cam via the user interface).

As I gather, Starlinks CGNAT is a whole new game for me and the whole port forwarding setup turns into a bit of a gong show (at least for me ;-) ) I kind of get that DDNS does not work with CGNAT, and the port forwarding requires a bunch of mucking about (even with a VPN provider)....

My question.... Could I use something like a Google Home device (or some other magic box?) to provide remote access to my home camera network? ... Surprisingly, I have this Ecobee thermostat that seems to be flawless with its remote access. Obviously, Ecobee is providing the system/service or "tunnel" to get through the CGNAT.... would some sort of Google device do much the same thing?...

(BTW... I know there are plenty of consumer "any idiot" could install and make work with a cloud "fee" service but I kind of like just having my own junk and would like to set it up....)

Cheers

Martin

atgpud2024

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tried TailScale VPN?? I have AT&T Home Internet (Cellular SIM card) modem and It works for me on BlueIris no problems...
Tailscale Website: Tailscale · Best VPN Service for Secure Networks and Sign up for free for personal use.. It gives you 100 devices max and 3 users max.. :) It's so awesome.. I made it work tricks out WAN link web server as TailScale IP.. works..

ATGPUD2024

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I was using OpenVPN but more recently have switched to WireGuard. Seems to work well

Last edited:

Martin2017

n3wb
Reaction score
Using a VPN, will I need to setup some sort of live server running my camera network?... My plan for now is add a Router (Linksy, Max Stream) to the SL setup, run all of the Amcrest stuff on a stand alone network then figure out how to get to that network remotely.

Still wondering if a Google home device could provide remote access?

Thanks

TuckNTruck

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used ZeroTier with Starlink for over a year before fiber was installed here. Easy to set up even for a complete noob like me.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Using a VPN, will I need to setup some sort of live server running my camera network?... My plan for now is add a Router (Linksy, Max Stream) to the SL setup, run all of the Amcrest stuff on a stand alone network then figure out how to get to that network remotely.

Still wondering if a Google home device could provide remote access?

Thanks
Amcrest View Pro isn't working for you?
Of course its nicer to use with a amcrest NVR.

Martin2017

n3wb
Reaction score
Amcrest View Pro isn't working for you?
Of course its nicer to use with a amcrest NVR.
I have always found the Amcrest View Pro clunky and unreliable. For remote viewing of my port forwarded group IP Camera Viewer on my Android was perfect, never failed. My last network used NoIP to deal with the dynamic IP (I have another group at another location that are served with a Static IP... also works perfectly). It's going to take some time to setup at my Starlink location, but I do have Amcrest NVR.... once I get my internal configuration up and running I will look at my options to setup remote access.

Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try Zerotier or Tailscale
My last network used NoIP to deal with the dynamic IP (I have another group at another location that are served with a Static IP... also works perfectly).
Don't be surprised if NO-IP screws you in the near future.

I've had their "Enhanced Dynamic DNS" with up to 25 hostnames for 10 years, since Nov. 2013.
They billed my credit card $22 every month and in 2016 it went up to $24.95 per month...no problem.
It remained at $24.95 per month for 7 years until Oct. 2023 when it jumped to $59.99 per month....no email, no warning....a 140% increase!
No way would I have approved that.

So I call them. They have no special extension for billing. They say online to fill out a ticket, so I did, got a ticket number.
Waited a week, no response so I log in and look.....no ticket!

I cancelled of course but I'm paid up for a year whether I like it or not.
Bottom line? NO-IP is a bunch of crooks disguised as a legitimate DDNS provider.

Capital One was no help, I called it fraudulent and they had me filling out forms by the dozen so I dropped the issue...I can make 3 times that $$$ in the time it's takes me to fill out and submit the copies, etc.

I'd love for No-IP to read this or anyone else out there that has had a similar issue with them. NO-IP IS AS CROOKED AS A DOG'S HIND LEG!
I urge you to cancel your No-IP DDNS or other DDNS, become a IPCT+ member and use IPCT's DDNS !