Starlink - anyone have it?

bigredfish

Known around here
Sep 5, 2016
Floriduh
If so how does it do for normal Internet + TV streaming?

Can you run your own router behind it? Like put their modem in bridge mode?

I don’t guess you have an IP that can be used for remote access ? Would OpenVPN still work?

Yes I have one. It does great for "normal" internet and streaming. I have my router behind the modem just like one might on a cable internet modem. It is out in Texas with a wide open view of 90% of the sky. I cannot guess how it might fair here in Florida with huge pines and cypress trees all around the house. I have had it several years but sadly have not had a chance to spend enough time getting remote access to work and answer your last question. I can see cameras via P2P and my Synology NAS. I can also use Chrome Remote Desktop to see a local PC there. When that is working, it is my preferred method to configure cameras. But it has been HOT this year and that PC overheats and drops connection.

Reactions: bigredfish
If so how does it do for normal Internet + TV streaming?

Can you run your own router behind it? Like put their modem in bridge mode?

I don’t guess you have an IP that can be used for remote access ? Would OpenVPN still work?

good fiber or cable will be always better comparing to Starlink...
but bad LTE/5G will be worse..

always ask some one in Your region about Starlink quality - if there is huge number of subscribes then can be worse..

yes, you can put own router.. there is option to bypass Starlink router in mobile app (works like bridge mode)..

in normal plan there is no public IP...

OpenVPN server will not work..
But Unifi Cloud Gateway will work as router with Teleport / Magic VPN server even on private IPs...

Teleport = VPN for mobile/desktop clients, there is app called WIFIman which works as VPN client..
Based on WireGuard with Unifi P2P extension...
very easy to setup (You simply generate URL for each client on console, copy&paste to each client)...

I would like to get it for failover to replace a 4G LTE failover system. However, I would not use it normally, only in case of an outage and they do not currently have any data plans that would work for me. I have sent several inquires asking if they could implement some type of flat monthly fee (cheap) and then only charge when the service is used. I have not heard back yet.

We lost Comcast/Xfinity in the storm 6 days ago. They’re saying Wednesday the 16th but they are the most horrible lying sacks of shit on the planet. 1/2 my neighborhood had it our half doesn’t.

The part that irks me is Zero customer service or information. No communication at all. This isn’t the first time. I’ve been outright lied to 3 times by a human since Saturday.

Like many, we only have one choice. We just happen to have the worst communication company in the country

I would like to get it for failover to replace a 4G LTE failover system. However, I would not use it normally, only in case of an outage and they do not currently have any data plans that would work for me. I have sent several inquires asking if they could implement some type of flat monthly fee (cheap) and then only charge when the service is used. I have not heard back yet.
They keep raising the prices and changing the names of the plans. Mobile version now called "Roam" for RVs and such which costs more per month, you can suspend service with the roam plan. They've also added a cheaper tier or Roam capped at 50GB in select markets.

Last edited:
Reactions: OICU2
They keep raising the prices and changing the names of the plans. Mobile version now called "Roam" for RVs and such which costs more per month, you can suspend service. They've also added a cheaper tier or Roam capped at 50GB in select markets.
The "roam" package may work for me... even though I am not roaming, $50/mo for 50GB I am ok with. My current 4G LTE plan is only 20GB/mo and if I am on failover, it is only used for work purposes, email/vpn stuff like that.

Interesting that in Portugal, StarLink residential service plan costs only 40 Euro / month (below 50 USD)..

But here there is no regional monopoly. Telco (last mile) infrastructure is mostly shared (any ISP can used it)..
Especially that co-funded by country or EU funds..
I live in smaller city (40k people) and almost every house have access to dark fiber..
Almost everywhere You can choose between 2 to 4 country wide fiber or hybrid (coax) ISP providers..

And for full 1gbit (400 mbit upload) no data cap fiber connection I pay 40 Euro / month (below 50 USD)..
Packages (like 100 mbit fiber) starts at 20 Euro (below 25 USD)..
Similar prices are for mobile (LTE/5G) services..

Screenshot 2024-10-14 at 18.01.58.png

I've seen one in action here on the island (illegal but diplomats bring them as part of their diplomatic packages). Unfortunately, to have it work in Cuba, one needs to pay the $400/month Global Roaming package for it to work. But MUCH better than the government monopoly service.

Not having $400/month in the budget is the only thing stopping me. Oh, and that it's illegal here.

I do not have one. But I know many folks that use this in their motorhomes. I was just talking to a person last night here at the Tiffin Rally in Tucson that has it. They stream and say they have no issues. We were comparing my ATT and Verizon hotspot plans (50 GB each) to their unlimited Starlink plan. Obviously I can max out my plans quite quickly by streaming, and we generally do not stream. We have DISHRV for TV.

I have no idea on if any of them remote into it.

People with fibre poopoo the Starlink latency which is around 25ms.

Unless one is a hardcore gamer, 25ms is incredible. I remember trying to play Quake 1 online with 250ms latency with DSL in the mid 90s.

My latency here in Cuba is around 130ms with 4G and 100ms through the Nano connection.

It's really meant for people without access to fibre or another fast connection. But it's wildly popular in the south east US after two hurricanes.

Unfortunately, there is a $100 surcharge to activate it in certain areas due to over saturation in that particular area.

Posts from the Tiffin Rally at the Pima County Fairgrounds outside of Tucson AZ:

Just installed and commissioned a new Gen 3 mobile Starlink dish. So even partially obstructed by a tree, I have 200M of download bandwidth which is pretty good considering.

I posted this to his post:
Got this tonight from my ATT Netgear Nighthawk M6.
1728949512007.png

And then someone else posted this:
Our Gen 2 speed just now.
1728949567208.png

Wow.
I wonder how rain etc effect it?

I have it! Got it after Beryl as a contingancy plan, just in case. It went on sale for $299 so I bit the bullet

1728955185450.jpeg

1728955196978.jpeg

1728955204299.jpeg

As for speeds, expect around 150-200 down and 20 up at most, usually like 10

People will run endless speed tests to get the "best" one and then post it, but its short lived

I actually completely bypass their gateway entirely. I have a 200w PoE Injector, and I plug it directly into my equipment

1728955401791.jpeg

The rain thing bothers me, that would mean bad service between 3-5pm everyday from June through early Sept :rolleyes:
We actually schedule around that, it’s real

• Wow
Reactions: samplenhold
The rain thing bothers me, that would mean bad service between 3-5pm everyday from June through early Sept :rolleyes:

Yeah, but it does really need HEAVY rain to impact it. Do you have no alterantive?

Unless you're out in the sticks with no other option, Starlink is best as a backup. I have AT&T Fiber as Primary, Verizon 5G Home Internet as secondary and then Starlink as tertiary

You could back up Starlink with 5G I suppose, if no other options

Just get Roam and pause the service, they even have a new 50GB one for cheaper