Start recording when noise occurs?

IPCamNoob

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. I have 2 Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW cameras monitoring my apartment. When I came home from work tonight, the alarm on my apartment was going off. The door was still locked and I checked all the windows. I entered and cleared the apartment, then immediately went to check the footage on my cameras. Nothing. No motion was recorded from the time I left to the time I entered. 3 out of the 4 apartments around me are empty. I left a note with my other neighbors and hope to hear from them tomorrow to see if I can get an idea of when it started going off.

Anyway, my question is this: Would it be possible to setup some sort of audio trigger for the cameras, so when there's noise they would start recording and send me an email alert? I currently have them configured to start recording when motion is detected via the IR sensor, which I thought would be fine, but clearly in this case it would be nice if it started recording when the alarm started going off. Is this possible?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
have your alarm system trigger the alarm inputs on the cameras and they will record automatically when you have such an event.

IPCamNoob

n3wb
Reaction score
I would do that if I was allowed to modify the alarm system. Unfortunately I can't access any of the wiring. I'll have to rely on using the sound emitted from the alarm system, if that's possible.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its not with the cameras alone, are you paying for the alarm? you own it and can modify it.

IPCamNoob

n3wb
Reaction score
That is unfortunate. I don't own the alarm, it came with the apartment and is owned by the landlords. They don't manage it or get any kind of alerts when it goes off though, which makes it pretty useless.