Starting Small

oobedoobe

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,
I've been reading around the forums looking to set up cameras around the house. Been researching for a bit and working to sell it to the wife, she finally bought off on a couple of outside cameras and adding a new one for the nursery. I have a Dropcam I was given when my first kid was born three years ago and with a new one due soon I'm looking to update. Looking to get a good overall view of the room, good low-light vision have audio picked up in the room and of course it needs to be easy for the wife. i.e. wife opens an Android app and sees camera.

So far I've been looking at the Annke 161DR and the Dahua IPC-K35A.

From what I've been reading these seems to be be recommended a few times each for baby cams. The form factor is driving me the the cube style cameras, doesn't look bulky as a turrent or bullet camera.
I'm also considering the Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-AS after seeing all the praise for the Starlight models in low light here.

For a bit of background on my home setup:

I have a Netgear GS110TP to power the camera(s) I'm planning to get for the kids rooms. It currently only has a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Pro on it so plenty of power left for a few cameras.

For NVR i'm back and forth between Blue Iris and Zoneminder. I have a home lab ESXi server loaded down with plenty of RAM and CPU. I'm debating recording directly to a NAS NFS or iSCSI target or directly to disk in the ESXi host then archive to the NAS.

My end game is three external cameras, a door bell camera, two baby monitors, and 2 interior cameras. Most likely buying one every few months as spare cash allows :)

I'm hoping for some feedback on the cameras I'm looking at or if there is something better out there that I missed. I welcome any comments/critiques for what I am thinking of doing.