Static caravan IP camera install

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking at installing a IP camera into one of our caravans and want to view it from home via BI. The question is how many GB of data will be needed to do this as I need to get a sim card with that amount of data pre loaded. I am on the EE network and usually get around 100Mb when I test it with my android phone which I make a hotspot when we use the van to stream the likes of Netflix etc. Usually in a weekend I can use 50GB of data. I have Unlimited data on my Sim Card and can gift data to other EE sim cards on my account.

The camera I was going or thinking of installing is a HIKVISION DS-2DE3A400BW-DE(F1)(S5) but don't want to order it until I know how much data I will use per month to stream 1 camera.

2021-07-10 13.04.43.jpg

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi mate the camera is a HIKVISION DS-2DE3A400BW-DE(F1)(S5) so 4mp and framerate can be set to low 5-15 with a lowish bitrate also say 2k

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score

This will give you an idea about how much data you'll be using, or even storing when you want to store it. Just plug in the numbers.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, streaming over cell networks is not a very good idea. Maybe configure for alerts to be sent and review footage as needed would be a better idea.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, streaming over cell networks is not a very good idea. Maybe configure for alerts to be sent and review footage as needed would be a better idea.
Yes thought of doing this and can enable in BI if I get an Alert to save data. I was thinking recording Alerts only to the internal Micro SD anyway. I will look into setting up alerts and read up more on that subject many thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How were you going to power the camera?

What about either a powerline adapter to run internet data over the electric line or use a nanostation to wifi it back into the system?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi mate I was thinking passive POE injectors each end and then into the 4g router via lan.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
in my opinion you should get rid of the plan to connect it to your home bi ... i dont see the point of doing this.

Has vodafone/o2/three/bt... already enabled 5G standalone in UK ? It would give you a much better experience with live streaming. Also a vendor called AVM is releasing a 5G SA compatible home router in the next months in europe. it should give also a better experience than any huawei router. But you can also just use a cheap 5G cell phone.. there are routers which can use usb-tethering. The market for 5G routers is small, there are only a few devices... also the SA compatibility is awful... iphone 12 still cant use it because apple dont release a firmware update. But UK is special... they are not using huawei backend equip anymore, so they have to use ericsson... this is a pain in the ass..

At the moment i am using a quite similiar setup, but i am recording to SDcard. It records around 30GB / day with h265 ... with dahua 5442. But it depends on settings...

Like @sebastiantombs already mention.. you can control the bandwidth/data easily with reducing megapixel / framerate / codec / bitrate .....
with a 2mp camera with 15fps, 4096kbs max vbr, h265+ you will may end up with 5-10gb/day, depends on how much motion is there...
Also night with BW reduce the bandwidth alot... on night i am using around 80-100mb/hour

On my transitional home i am using a 4G router with a unlimited data plan, using around 3TB /month. But i think there will be problems with realtime live streaming... mostly ping is around 20-40ms and jitter <3ms ... sometimes there are spikes, which you would notice on live stream.. not often, but its there. that is a problem you have do deal with when using 4G.

using p2p bridge with an existing internet connection would be much easier than 4G... less ping and jitter (spikes)

Last edited:

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd be looking into installing a wifi based internet solution... bare with me! I'm guessing your static is on some sort of holiday camp? or something along those lines... Now usually they offer crap wifi say 5Mbps so if that is the case sign up to their service and just stream using their solution.. But back to my initial statement... If that option isn't there, and you could get a wired based Internet connection to your static or to the main reception desk at the complex then install a handful of Ubiquiti AP and mesh... and sell internet to the rest of the residents and watch the cash role in £££ ;)

But thats me, always looking to make a buck.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Now usually they offer crap wifi say 5Mbps so if that is the case sign up to their service
5mbps would be enough for anything... but its the same problem. If you cannot install a p2p bridge directly with stations on both sides, you will end up by having something like extended wifi ... and this will also give you ping and jitter spikes. Also you are using the connection with many, so you cannot control what other do. ending in jitter,ping and low speed.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
5mbps would be enough for anything... but its the same problem. If you cannot install a p2p bridge directly with stations on both sides, you will end up by having something like extended wifi ... and this will also give you ping and jitter spikes. Also you are using the connection with many, so you cannot control what other do. ending in jitter,ping and low speed.
It would be fine if that was the only thing sitting on the 5 mbps pipe... I was working on the basis that everything is sharing these crap pipes like they usually are from my experience when you are using these "Free" shared wifi pipes.
But this is my experience from holidaying abroad and trying to access my camera feeds via “Free” wifi going through my VPN... But if I jump onto 4g its so much better.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
No 5G in the area at the moment so 4G only but saying that I usually get around 100mb which is as fast as my home fibre connection with Virgin. I have worked it out the only way is Unlimited EE Sim Card for the amount of data it is going to use streaming 24/7 or option 2 as sebastian said Alerts ONLY.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
again it doesnt matter what your SPEED is... even with 5mpbs you would be able to have a stable connection to your home bi
jitter and ping is important for realtime applications... thats why everyone is talking about 5G !

streaming normal content (netflix, youtube ... ) uses buffer ... so you wont notice anything. but if you are the source of the stream, you will have problems with jitter/ping spikes and packet drops which are also common for 4g connections. if you want to watch/get notifications , no prob at all. but have a steady 24/7 connection to record/use BS to your home bi over 4g.. no!

Last edited:

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I take a tablet to the Caravan and steam all my home cams without any problems user8963. The connection via EE is excellent. I also stream IPTV via a UHD stream also excellent. I was thinking to record Alerts on a Micro SD card not via BI as BI was going to be used mainly for live view. I can if it come to it put a small 4 port NVR with a 2tb WD purple HD but would be recording nothing all day it is a quiet Park TBH.