Static IP Help

pnieto04

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently use DynDNS but it seems to be causing me problems. I had it set up on my Century Link modem/router and I was able to view my cameras from work and my mobile but it would sometimes cause issues with my internet at home. There was often times where my Xbox One wouldn't get internet because of "DNS Errors" and I had to shut down that feature on my router for it to work. I have since bridged my modem and bought a TP-Link router off of Amazon. My internet is just amazing now but I haven't figured out how to port forward yet. I'm sure I will figure it out but just haven't devoted time at the moment.

My question is, since I am going this route now, I'm kinda thinking I want to get a static IP (or 5 since you have to) to set it up that way and not worry about DynDNS. Is that recommended? Or it is the same? I need some advice. Also if I do get a static IP, do I put it into the Blue Iris software? Do I put it into my router settings? Do I do both? Any help would be awesome. I am just a little lost. I constantly lose signal to certain cameras but am going to be installing ethernet ports in my house so I can have a more reliable signal. I want to have my house completely wired and be able to view my cameras on my cell phone when I need to. I am also getting a separate computer with more RAM & storage as well as an external hard drive so I can have a full security system that works and is dedicated to just my cameras. Any help, suggestions, recommendations or anything would be extremely helpful.

Thank you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Dont waste money on a static ip address. DNS errors are not caused by you dynamic dns service, its is impossible unless you messed with your dns settings on your router which has nothing to do with your dynamic dns and does not need to be touched...your routers dns should be set to 8.8.8.8 (googles dns).
I think you just have a basic misunderstanding of how dynamic dns works...all it does it redirect you from yourname.dyndns.org to your current external ip address...the way it knows what your current ip address is by getting updates from a device on your network..that device can be your router, camera, or you can run an app on your blue iris pc, and you dont even have to make changes to your router.

Reaction score
I agree with fenderman above. Also, BI is defaulted to check your public facing IP every 10 minutes, so there's no need to manually input your public IP. Regardless if you have a static IP or not, BI's web server will know your public facing IP. As long as your BI's web server is enabled and port forwarding is configured on your router, you have the option to remotely connect via your home's public facing IP or using a DNS service. There's no need to waste extra money to pay for a static IP from your ISP, when there's plenty of free & paid DNS services.

Ideally, all your cameras in the house should be physically wired to avoid signal loss. You should also have a dedicated computer that runs 24/7 to run the BI software and then also buy a NAS to offload the video to. The computer you are using to run BI doesn't need a large hard drive. It just needs to be big enough to hold the OS and the BI software. With the NAS, you'll be using it to store your videos. In the event that your house gets broken into, they can steal the computer, but if you hide the NAS well enough, it will be too late for the crooks, as you already will have video evidence. Essentially, it's not smart to store video footage on the same computer you're using to run BI.