Step by step swapping out an OEM Hikvision NVR with an official Hikvision branded NVR. Lots of questions!

b00st3d

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there, I am hoping some of you more knowledgeable people can help me out with swapping my three year old Hikvision oem nvr with an actual Hikvision 7600 series NVR. I tried just swapping the cameras over from one NVR to the other, but the new NVR kept saying that the username and password of the cameras was incorrect. After some basic googling, I read that the cameras may be linked to the original NVR and will have to be reset using the Hikvision SADP tool? From what I gathered I would have to plug all the cameras into the new NVR and then a laptop running the SADP tool into the NVR as well in one of the POE ports and then run the tool to reset the cameras? Is it really that simple? Do I have to manually set a static IP address on my laptop while plugged into the new Hikvision NVR POE port or will it auto assign me one? Can anyone help with a simple step by step process of this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
my three year old Hikvision oem nvr with an actual Hikvision 7600 series NVR.
Do they both have PoE ports, and is that how you'll be connecting the cameras in the new NVR?

the new NVR kept saying that the username and password of the cameras was incorrect.
By default, if the cameras were originally added under the Plug&Play option, the NVR will have configured the cameras to use the old NVR password.
Which may well be different from what you've used on the new NVR.

Suggestion to try (there are multiple ways to transfer the cameras, this is just one) :
On the web GUI of the old NVR, under System | Camera Management - pick a channel and note down the IP address configured for it. It will be something like 192.168.254.2
On the new NVR, select the channel you want to have the camera connected to, change the mode to Manual instead of Plug&Play (using the Modify button).
Set the IP address to the one you just noted down, set the password to that of the old NVR, ensure the protocol is Hikvision and the port=8000.
Disconnect the camera from the old NVR, connect it to the channel you've configured.
It should connect OK.

A better method would be to leave the new NVR channels at 'Plug&Play' but this would involve an extra step of resetting each camera to the 'Inactive' state, ie 'reset to defaults'.
You'd be best with powering up the camera using an external 12v supply, not plugged in to either NVR, plugged in to a switch or router on the same LAN as the PC.

b00st3d

n3wb
Reaction score
Do they both have PoE ports, and is that how you'll be connecting the cameras in the new NVR?

By default, if the cameras were originally added under the Plug&Play option, the NVR will have configured the cameras to use the old NVR password.
Which may well be different from what you've used on the new NVR.

Suggestion to try (there are multiple ways to transfer the cameras, this is just one) :
On the web GUI of the old NVR, under System | Camera Management - pick a channel and note down the IP address configured for it. It will be something like 192.168.254.2
On the new NVR, select the channel you want to have the camera connected to, change the mode to Manual instead of Plug&Play (using the Modify button).
Set the IP address to the one you just noted down, set the password to that of the old NVR, ensure the protocol is Hikvision and the port=8000.
Disconnect the camera from the old NVR, connect it to the channel you've configured.
It should connect OK.

A better method would be to leave the new NVR channels at 'Plug&Play' but this would involve an extra step of resetting each camera to the 'Inactive' state, ie 'reset to defaults'.
You'd be best with powering up the camera using an external 12v supply, not plugged in to either NVR, plugged in to a switch or router on the same LAN as the PC.
Yes sorry I should have mentioned that...both NVRs have PoE ports.

I think I may try the last method you mentioned. I do have a poe switch that is plugged into my network that I can plug the cameras into one by one. So I should be able to plug the cameras into my poe switch and use the SADP tool to reset them? I appreciate your help!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So I should be able to plug the cameras into my poe switch and use the SADP tool to reset them?
Certainly the PoE switch is a big benefit in terms of being able to set the cameras up away from the NVRs.
I'd suggest using the camera web GUI Maintenance menu to 'reset to defaults' which should then show them as 'Inactive' in SADP after the reboot.
Then connect to the new NVR PoE port and Plug&Play will do the rest.

b00st3d

n3wb
Reaction score
Certainly the PoE switch is a big benefit in terms of being able to set the cameras up away from the NVRs.
I'd suggest using the camera web GUI Maintenance menu to 'reset to defaults' which should then show them as 'Inactive' in SADP after the reboot.
Thanks! I’ll be giving it a shot this weekend!

b00st3d

n3wb
Reaction score

Thanks for your help! I was able to connect all my cameras to a poe switch and reset them all to defaults except for 3 which for some reason did not have the same password as my other cameras. I am waiting on a response from Hikvision after sending the xml files. After resetting all cameras I was then able to plug them into the new NVR and it was able to activate them all. Unfortunately for me, the three cameras that I was not able to reset are the 3 most important out of the 16 I have! I am wondering, dont most cameras have a reset button on the hardware themsevles? Can I just use that to reset them to defaults?

Thanks again!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I am wondering, dont most cameras have a reset button on the hardware themsevles?
This varies amongst the models and their mechanical format.
Rare on the older ones, eg R0, R6, though the mini bullets have one at the back of the body.
Pretty standard on the newer series, eg G0, G1 etc.
If there is a hatch on the body for an SD card, there will most likely be a reset button there too.
For the domes, there may be a reset button inside, on the main circuit board.

except for 3 which for some reason did not have the same password as my other cameras.
What firmware version did SADP show for these?
What models are they?

b00st3d

n3wb
Reaction score
This varies amongst the models and their mechanical format.
Rare on the older ones, eg R0, R6, though the mini bullets have one at the back of the body.
Pretty standard on the newer series, eg G0, G1 etc.
If there is a hatch on the body for an SD card, there will most likely be a reset button there too.
For the domes, there may be a reset button inside, on the main circuit board.

What firmware version did SADP show for these?
What models are they?
Strangely the cameras allowed me to login with my original password after letting them sit for a half an hour or so plugged into my poe switch. Not sure why it wouldn’t let me login initially! All is working perfectly now on my new NVR! I appreciate your assistance!