Sticky Suggestion

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
As networking seems to be one of the most misunderstood issues, why doesn't the IPCT networking thread have a sticky showing users how to connect a basic non server network together and secure it with network diagrams etc using:

a) a single router for the whole home eg where a home pc and cctv swicth / cameras are on the same router and LAN network (no server just cables to a router on the main internet point to the home)

b) a dual router setup where 1 router is home dedicated and the other cctv dedicated and one is connected to the other

Deisgning and building a CCTV network using both single and multiple routers can be one of the most misunderstood areas, especially for newbies with no networking experience beyond plugging in a single ISP router to the main internet point and plugging a single home pc into the router via a cable. I'd guess 90% of users probably fall into this latter single router category where the sole understanding of networking is 2 cables, 1 from router into the phone jack and 1 from a single pc into the routers lan port.

Equally, many don't understand how you can prevent the CCTV side from accessing the internet when the same single router is letting other network traffic through, especially if it's further complicated by wanting to let the cctv through selectively via VPN.

Maybe it would be useful for a dummies guide to connecting CCTV tutorial sticky thread showing how to connect cameras and home internet together and enable selective access.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
b) a dual router setup where 1 router is home dedicated and the other cctv dedicated and one is connected to the other
This is a really bad idea. In most cases it will end in double-nat scenarios which may screw your whole network and give you pain as hell.

I totally understand why people dont want all this crap.
  • you need hardware with enterprise near functions ($$$)
  • you need knowledge to setup everything and troubleshoot (time)

so $$$ + time = someone decide to spent it better.

Its like arguing against people who like reolink.
There will be always the killer arguments ... "for me its ok" ... "i dont care" ... "i dont need better"

Here are many people who suggest using asus routers and openvpn... for me this is bullshit, because these routers have a slow cpu, which give you around 20mbit max upload over vpn.
Another one is fine with it... but i want to max out my fiber , so i need a better cpu which will end in building own router with pfsense/opnsense ... more time and money lost.

there is no "right" way. it depends. also it is hard to cover any model/make ...

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I suggested multirouter setups as that's what some people have posted diagrams of in the past. However, this post illustrates nicely the need for a clear sticky showing the correct or best way to assemble a CCTV network in conjunction with other items on the router such as non cctv pc's or IOT's. I think it can be diffcult for people to understand how you can let some items through the firewall but block others and settign that up is a complete mystery to some.