Storage misunderstanding

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi

I have my Blueiris installed on Proxmox host, single machine.
1690185769753.png

I had to stop monitoring free space on D:\, because it wen't up endlessly.
my C drive is 180gb, however it showed over allocated, and if I understand it right, I should have enough storage. what's wrong here ?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't need to write the files twice. write the files once to NEW on D:\
writing files to NEw and then moving them to stored, isn't needed.
Unless you think you want months and Months of video....

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
database on C, Alerts on C New on D
Isn't best practice say to keep new/alers on SSD ? (C) and stored on (D)
you say that its not really needed ? write directly to the big mechanical data and keep only alerts on SSD ?(and DB)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You will continue to get overallocation errors with NEW on C:\ because you need Terabytes of space not Gigabytes.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Create The folder Blue Iris on D:\ and if you did that already,..create a folder NEW inside the Blue Iris folder. and all the others you want like STORED, Aux1 etc....write all your video to those folders.
This will get you started without having to babysit the free space so often. try and keep C:\ free from having too much B.S. Just windows and Blue Iris, etc....
although I should talk....I'm running Blue iris on my home PC with adobe CS5, and PSS lite, and Office 365, and gawd knows....every Browser under the Sun.....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't best practice say to keep new/alers on SSD ? (C) and stored on (D)
you say that its not really needed ? write directly to the big mechanical data and keep only alerts on SSD ?(and DB)
That advice about putting New on C was before SSDs were the primary drive.

That is best practice now is to simply but video on the HDD rated for surveillance cameras and leave Windows, BI and DB on the SSD.

SSDs are not really designed for the continuous writing of video so when it dies, you lose your operating system and BI. I'd rather just lose the video drive that has nothing else on it. Sure people have used enterprise ones and can get many years out of it, but if you use cheap consumer grade, you will kill the SSD in a year or less like this person has twice:

SSD HD Failure 2nd time :(

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That advice about putting New on C was before SSDs were the primary drive.

That is best practice now is to simply but video on the HDD rated for surveillance cameras and leave Windows, BI and DB on the SSD.

SSDs are not really designed for the continuous writing of video so when it dies, you lose your operating system and BI. I'd rather just lose the video drive that has nothing else on it. Sure people have used enterprise ones and can get many years out of it, but if you use cheap consumer grade, you will kill the SSD in a year or less like this person has twice:

SSD HD Failure 2nd time :(
Intersting.
So what about Alerts folder ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Alerts is fine on C: as it will be blank for most people unless you are saving hi-def images, but even then it would take a long time to fill the drive and write over.