Storage Utilization Settings ~HELP~!

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For a week or so I’ve been waiting for my storage components to arrive and have been temporarily saving to a USB3 2TB with 1TB free.
BI has NOT been using the available space but I figured it would get sorted once I got my new dedicated drive.
Yesterday I installed my new WD Purple 10TB in an external case connected via eSATA to my Lenovo Tiny PC. Computer sees it, initialized as a simple 10TB volume, assigned drive letter D:. I moved the ‘BLue Iris New’ folder to it from the old drive (only 127gB) and set BI to write to the same folder in its new drive location.
Over night The system did NOT use the new 9TB of headroom, it continued to overwrite yesterday’s data rather than expand the folder.
It is retaining about 14 hours. I’m very sure it’s a simple setting that I have overlooked or broken.
Rather than screenshots I have only crappy iPhone pics, sorry about that; I had to go to work, no time for snips.

In the second pic I see the “Limit size” set at 100. Is this the folder size, the individual file size?
What happens if the folder fills up? Does the software create another folder or overwrite?
What size should this be?
Thanks for any assistance, my apologies for the dumb newbie questions.

Attachments

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hard to make out but the 100GB is your problem. When the folder gets to that size it deletes older clips. You want to change that to use about 90% of your drive. Don’t bother with using the 7 day clip age. It’s better to just go on size.

If you only have one drive for recordings, I’d put the new folder on it, record all cameras to new, and don’t use stored (set it to 0). No need to move recordings to different folders on the drive. Set new to delete when full. It’s a waste of resources to do a move to another folder when full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
As others have said, its the "limit to 100GB" that is causing the problem. That is the max limit of recordings BI will keep and then start deleting older recording first. You need to expand that to take up your drive.

At the top of your BI console there is a symbol that look like a line chart called "Status". Click that and then click the "Clip Storage" tab. If you have given BI the correct drive then you will see your drive graphs and how full (or not) they are. You will probably have lots of green showing for the "New" folder which is "Unallocated Free Space" for your new drive since you capped a 10TB drive to use only 100GB. Go back and adjust the "limit size" to something like 9500GB then check the Clip Storage tab again. What you want to do is get that Unallocated Free Space down to ~25 - 50GB or so.

Also don't take pictures with your phone. Use a screenshot tool or simply hit "Print Screen" and then paste that into Paint. Its impossible to read your screens cleanly as is.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hard to make out but the 100GB is your problem. When the folder gets to that size it deletes older clips. You want to change that to use about 90% of your drive. Don’t bother with using the 7 day clip age. It’s better to just go on size.

If you only have one drive for recordings, I’d put the new folder on it, record all cameras to new, and don’t use stored (set it to 0). No need to move recordings to different folders on the drive. Set new to delete when full. It’s a waste of resources to do a move to another folder when full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As others have said, its the "limit to 100GB" that is causing the problem. That is the max limit of recordings BI will keep and then start deleting older recording first. You need to expand that to take up your drive.

At the top of your BI console there is a symbol that look like a line chart called "Status". Click that and then click the "Clip Storage" tab. If you have given BI the correct drive then you will see your drive graphs and how full (or not) they are. You will probably have lots of green showing for the "New" folder which is "Unallocated Free Space" for your new drive since you capped a 10TB drive to use only 100GB. Go back and adjust the "limit size" to something like 9500GB then check the Clip Storage tab again. What you want to do is get that Unallocated Free Space down to ~25 - 50GB or so.

Also don't take pictures with your phone. Use a screenshot tool or simply hit "Print Screen" and then paste that into Paint. Its impossible to read your screens cleanly as is.
Y'all are saving my bacon, again.
I made the changes and have a couple of screenshots. I had no time this morning but am home for lunch and posting from the BI PC now.

Attachments