Strange problem moving camera to different switch

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I recently received inexpensive Yucheng PTZ that I plan on putting in the woods. I temporarily set it up on the switch in my study to do a 'burn in' test while I prepared everything outside. Here is a map of my network:

1584488506023.png

The problem came up when I moved it to the basement to prepare it for going outside. I disconnected it from the study switch (8 port poe Ubiquiti) and connected it to the basement 8 port poe+ Ubiquiti. I should mention that my cameras all have static IP's, managed by the Unifi software. Not only could I not see and video stream on BI but the camera was now invisible on the system. So I 1st tried changing the ethernet cable to it with no improvement. Then I moved it to the basement 8 port poe switch and finally to the basement core switch (Ubiquiti 24 port poe). Still nothing. I tried changing it from a static IP to DHCP, again no change. Finally I brought it back up to the study and plugged it back in to the 8 port study switch. After changing the IP address for it in BI (DHCP now) it works fine.

Everything goes through that 24 port switch, yet the camera wouldn't work plugged directly into it. I'm out of ideas. What have I missed??

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You dont specify if these are managed/unmanaged switches. I suspect that one, or more, are managed as if they were all unmanaged I would expect anything could go anywhere without issue.

Have you configured VLANs, routing, separate networks (ip range) that may be causing your issue? Is there an 'auto' managed setup that has locked the test camera to a specific route and/or endpoint port?

Additional details needed to understand your network.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry for not not providing more info above. Yes all the switches are managed. I have no vlans set up, yet. All the cameras except this one now have static ip's so I can execute a firewall rule that excludes them as a group from the internet. There is no auto managed setup - currently only a single lan that everything is on. Everything is managed by the Unifi software.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not trying to be mean but is POE+ turned on? I turn POE/POE+ off on my Unifi ports that don’t need it.
Legit question :)
I have tried turning the port POE on and off - no difference. Last night I thought of a change (I won't call it a solution) that may help me here. I'm going to try and swap the two 8 port poe switches (the one that it works on in the study with the one fed from the 8 port POE+ in the basement, where the cat6 cable comes in from outside).
It won't tell me why its happening but it will let me move forward with the project.
I am convinced the foxes have had a litter in their usual den and this camera is going to be monitoring that area (it's 50' north of my 1st camera in the woods).

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That worked! I may not have solved the problem but at least my project is going forward. I moved the switch it was working on from my study to the basement where the camera cables come in from outside. Plugged the switch into the existing 8 port poe+ switch and the camera into it and all is good. Somehow the camera is married to the switch.