Strange things after NVR began to overwrite HDD

Frogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a 3TB WD Purple in my NVR 5232 4Ks2, and 6 cameras, 4 Dahua HDBW4431r-ZS and 2 Amcrest cams, all set to record MD, no IVS. Seemed ok until the WD filled up and began to overwrite. Now recordings have timestamps that randomlyjump time back and forth by one hour during playback, and seemingly record non-events as well as motion events. Still useable, but not reliable. Before I reformat the HDD, maybe someone can comment. Also thought about updating the NVR with the new DH 20170418 bin, but thought I would get some thoughts first. Purchased the NVR back in October.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a one-hour problem with recordings. Turned out to be clock settings of cams and NVR. Automatic DST change wasn't set up correctly.
So if you're having a "One Hour Problem", you might check into that.
and seemingly record non-events
Check recorded video one hour before and after the "non-event". You might see an event where none was flagged, due to the one hour offset.
Good luck

Frogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Had time differences before, and yes it can be difficult. Some of my cams won't work correctly with DST enabled, some only work with DST enabled, etc. But lately, they had been working ok and holding time steady. I would rather just have NVR control time for all, but was never able to get them all to work that way, so disabled NVR control of the cams, and each one is set to use time server to get time. When I did have these problems during that time, viewing the cam live, the time stamp would be correct, and then a few hours later, it would change by one hour and stay that way until I corrected it again. Also the time zone difference did not seem to work the same on all cams. But now this new problem seems to only be on playback, not live view. For instance the playback will for example show 15:09 and then 16:10, 16:11, and then 15:12, 15:13, etc. I might add that my NVR is not built-in PoE, but using a PoE powered switch for the cams. This may be why NVR control wouldn't work correctly for me?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Your setup is a bit different than mine..... And my recall of my one hour problem is a little foggy, since that episode was a while ago.
Bottom line, however, is it's probably a long shot that the problem is due to overwriting video on the HD.

I might add that my NVR is not built-in PoE, but using a PoE powered switch for the cams. This may be why NVR control wouldn't work correctly for me?
I don't have buillt in poe, but use a poe switch. So I don't think the switch or your architecture is root cause.

6 cameras, 4 Dahua HDBW4431r-ZS and 2 Amcrest cams
With Amcrest, the Dahua NVR probably can't set the time in the cam. (brand mismatch)

Strange as it sounds, I use the NVR to synch to a time server, AND have the cams set to synch to a time server. Seems to work fine.
Note: I checked the NVR config screen for Date & Time, and it's not crystal clear that enabling time sync also pushes the time out to the cams. Maybe it just syncs the NVR....

Fastb

Frogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Acccording to Nayr, the NVR setting that causes the NVR to set the time for the cams is: Setup>System>General>IPC Time Sync (check box). And for what it's worth, the Amcrest cams don't have any problems either way-it's the Dahuas.