Stream Apple TV content over cat5e to multiple TVs > viable solution?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for advice and comments. I want to have a single Gen3 Apple TV device and stream video content from the Apple TV device to multiple TV's in my house. And I want to do it without buying new TVs. I was thinking that I would take the HDMI stream that comes out of the Apple TV device an use multiple HDMI to Cate5e converters to send the HDMI signal over my 100mps network to multiple TVs in my house. Will this work? Is there a better alternative? All advice is welcome. Thanks fellas.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
If it would be possible it would be amazing. I ended up buying multiple streaming boxes ( nvidia shield) for each TV.

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's what I do. The HDMI output of the motherboard of the PC running BI feeds into a dual HDMI-over-Cat5e transmitter, with two receivers feeding the reconverted HDMI signals into two TVs. It works well. FWIW, I got a good price for the converter setup at Monoprice.com.

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You will need a dedicated Cat5e cable run for each converted HDMI signal, however. It CANNOT run on the same run as your LAN data.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
This works for streaming the same content across all TVs but as I understood OP wants to stream different content from the same source. At least that's what I tried to do before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This works for streaming the same content but as I understood OP wants to stream different content from the same source
No, I want to stream the the same content from a single source (Apple TV device) to multiple televisions...and I want to do it over my Cat5e 100mps LAN...the same LAN that my data runs on.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
No, I want to stream the the same content from a single source (Apple TV device) to multiple televisions...and I want to do it over my Cat5e 100mps LAN...the same LAN that my data runs on.
Got it, in my case I wanted to stream different videos at the same time in different locations.

The only other caveat is remote distance . I don't know how well is apple TV remote works, but for Android I have is not great to cover entire home

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do not know the exact frequency range/spectrum of the Ethernet signal, and I have not researched how the HDMI-over-Cat5e converters work (no doubt other on this forum do know and can correct me and/or educate us all), but it is my understanding that the converters create an "Ethernet-like" digital signal that is suited to run over Cat5e just like a normal Ethernet signal. So, if you ran it over your normal LAN cable you'd have two active LAN data signals running at essentially the same frequency(ies) which would mutually destroy one another and nothing would get through. This is NOT like running multiple signals at different frequencies over coaxial cable which can then be separated out by appropriate filtering.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This looks of interest...except for this..."It is not recommended to use any other network devices on this standalone network as it may cause a degradation in performance..."

http://www.networktechinc.com/ip-hdmi-lc.html#tab-2

The XTENDEX® Low-Cost HDMI Over Gigabit IP Extender multicasts digital video and audio signals to one or more receivers up to 330 feet away over a 1000Base-T Gigabit Network connected with CAT5e/6 cable.

Each Low-Cost HDMI Over Gigabit IP Extender consists of a local unit that connects to an HDMI source, and a remote unit that connects to an HDMI display. The local and remote units can be connected together for a Point-to-Point connection via CATx or a Point-to-Many connection via a network switch. Support for multiple transmitters requires a managed network switch.

• Supports HDTV resolutions to 1080p.
  • Ideal solution for digital signage applications.
  • Broadcast real-time HDMI video and audio signals to multiple display locations with a managed or unmanaged (also known as non-managed) network switch.
  • Transmits an HDMI signal over one CAT5e/6 cable.
  • Plug-and-Play installation allows receivers to find the transmitters automatically on the same subnet. (Network configuration may be required for managed network switch.)
  • Web interface for changing IP addresses, firmware updates and resetting units to factory default settings.
  • Easily expandable. Add remote units as you add monitors.
  • Inexpensive CAT5e/6 cable replaces bulky video cables.
  • Supports 10/100/1000 Ethernet connection.
  • Built in default EDID table.
  • HDCP compliant.
  • Support for multiple transmitters requires a managed network switch with VLAN/IGMP support. Standard LAN switches can only support one transmitter.
    • The managed switch must support port based IEEE 802.1Q VLAN, IGMP, and permit duplicate IP addresses across the VLAN domains.
    • Each VLAN acts as a separate HDMI Over IP Channel on the network.
    • Number of local and remote units that can be used is dependent on the backplane bandwidth of the switch.
    • Cascade manage switches up to 3 levels, allowing the farthest display to be located up to 1,000 feet away from the source device. Each receiver can be located up to 330 feet away.
  • For a point-to-many connection, a standalone network with an unmanaged network switch, hub, or router can be used instead of a managed network switch.
    • It is not recommended to use any other network devices on this standalone network as it may cause a degradation in performance.
  • Uses M-JPEG technology to process image compression on a fixed bandwidth.
    • Note: at high resolutions, characters on PCs get noticeably fuzzy due to image compression and decompression process.
  • Local and remote units must be in the same LAN. The units do not support WAN connections.

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
Not needed in this situation but there are also HDMI Modulators that send HDMI over coax, here in the Uk most houses have Coax installed when built, all that is needed is the modulator taking a HDMI source, this in turn is plugged into a coax socket which sends the HDMI signal around the house, to decode you need either a Tv with freeview HD ( DVBT-2) or a standalone tuner by each Tv which is DVBT-2 - The HDMI signal just becomes another channel in your DVBT2 tuner ...simples

as i said not wanted here but good to know they exist

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hiky, I would be interested in links to any HDMI modulators you would recommend, many thanks!

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
I have one here on my desk, unwanted from an install but as i am in the Uk its no good to you, this is the one i have here which i ordered from Ireland, hopefully you guys in the States can also get them from local sources, maybe Amazon or ebay ??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edision-HDMI-Modulator-Full-Distribution-Black/dp/B00KBXKJ2A

Try that link, its in Engrish lol

Actually its safer to say the receiving end must be able to accept MPEG4, the Box and blurb show DVB-T but i have found issues with early DVBT receivers, they get sound but no image due to them being Mpeg only

In the Uk we have free Tv which is OTA, early versions of freeview were either built into Tv`s or stand alone receivers " Freeview" ( Mpeg2 ) the latest now is Freeview HD ( Mpeg4) The modulator outputs Mpeg4

Thats why mine is sat here doing nothing, the customer wanted there cameras around the house on the Tv`s but alas the Tv tuners turned out to be Mpeg2

The box and blurb on the net is a little miss leading, it should say DVBT-2 but whats printed on the box is DVB-T... you live and learn

Last edited by a moderator: