Stream Delay when screen save is on?

tarbash

n3wb
Reaction score
I am running two Annke C800 cameras and using Blue Iris (BI) to record and stream. My home network is wired with Cat 6 cables and its pretty flat. There is less than 1ms latency from the client (my pc) to the BI server. I have removed most of the installed software like Anti-virus and AnyDesk in case they were contributing to the issue. Every now and then, I would get the orange clock sign on the top right corner and then if you click that, it tells you "Your network connection is not fast enough to handle this stream in realtime. Consider changing the streaming quality." I have narrowed the time this happens to when the monitor that's attached to the BI server goes into sleep mode. I have changed display power management settings and it seems the issue has gone away. I am not 100% sure it has but hoping and praying.

My question is what does the display power management has to do with the BI software? If the computer is on, the BI software is running, and there is power to the ethernet card, then there shouldn't be any delays on a flat network like mine for BI stream to be delayed. Any ideas where I can look to figure out why the stream is complaining about network issues?

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
It takes CPU clocks to put BI up on screen in local console mode. My CPU is less busy when I close the Local console and there is no effort to display the Camera's in Substream or Mainstream mode.
So If 15 camera's are streaming in via network to a recording drive, thats X amount of Network utilization and CPU usage. if you open the Console, thats X + Y amount of Network/CPU utilization. Perhaps the CPU drops in Network data packet transfers/efficiency when the UI is up.
I know my CPU usage drops when the Local console shuts off at the and of my day at the office.

tarbash

n3wb
Reaction score
It takes CPU clocks to put BI up on screen in local console mode. My CPU is less busy when I close the Local console and there is no effort to display the Camera's in Substream or Mainstream mode.
So If 15 camera's are streaming in via network to a recording drive, thats X amount of Network utilization and CPU usage. if you open the Console, thats X + Y amount of Network/CPU utilization. Perhaps the CPU drops in Network data packet transfers/efficiency when the UI is up.
I know my CPU usage drops when the Local console shuts off at the and of my day at the office.
My CPU usage is less than 20% while looking at the main stream at 2160p. I don't think its a CPU issue. Thank you for taking the time to provide your thoughts for this issue.

tarbash

n3wb
Reaction score
I am running two Annke C800 cameras and using Blue Iris (BI) to record and stream. My home network is wired with Cat 6 cables and its pretty flat. There is less than 1ms latency from the client (my pc) to the BI server. I have removed most of the installed software like Anti-virus and AnyDesk in case they were contributing to the issue. Every now and then, I would get the orange clock sign on the top right corner and then if you click that, it tells you "Your network connection is not fast enough to handle this stream in realtime. Consider changing the streaming quality." I have narrowed the time this happens to when the monitor that's attached to the BI server goes into sleep mode. I have changed display power management settings and it seems the issue has gone away. I am not 100% sure it has but hoping and praying.

My question is what does the display power management has to do with the BI software? If the computer is on, the BI software is running, and there is power to the ethernet card, then there shouldn't be any delays on a flat network like mine for BI stream to be delayed. Any ideas where I can look to figure out why the stream is complaining about network issues?

Update: So far, I have not experienced the issue since I adjusted the power setting for monitor. I will keep an eye on this for a little while. Here is the setting I change to from what it had previously. Go to Settings>Power & Sleep>Additional Power Settings>Choose when to turn off the display>Change advanced power settings>Display>Turn off display after>
power_option.png

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
cool.
I used to leave the cameras up on screen 24/7, but now at night i close that down and turn off the monitor.