Stream Video from Hkvison Camera into Python Code via a Mobile Network

IBNU

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everyone I've recently purchased an IP camera and is wondering if I can use it to solve a certain problem. I need to stream the footage from the camera directly into some python code that can process the footage that uses the OpenCV library. The camera will have to be placed in an isolated location connected to it's own dedicated mobile modem internet, the issue I'm facing is that while RTSP works fine in a local network, I can't use it externally as the mobile network prevents me from port-forwarding the footage.

Is there any way I can access the footage remotely without port forwarding?

Zinersby

n3wb
Reaction score
With a VPN in place, you should be able to securely access your camera footage from anywhere and feed it into your Python code for processing using the OpenCV library. It might take a bit of tinkering, but hopefully, it'll help you overcome the port-forwarding hurdle.

Oxibstro

n3wb
Reaction score
That sounds like a tricky situation. It's like trying to solve a puzzle with missing pieces! I remember facing a similar challenge when I wanted to access my home security camera remotely but couldn't because of network restrictions.
One thing you might explore is setting up a VPN (Virtual Private Network). It's like creating a secure tunnel that allows you to access your camera footage remotely without needing to port forward. I stumbled upon some helpful tips on a website called The Wireless Customer You Are Calling Is Not Available - RouterCtrl when I was trying to figure out VPN setups for my own network.

Last edited:

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Depending on the camera version, you could stream to youtube and fetch that video like that on your python app.

Also there is an ISUP solution where only server needs to have opened ports, but not location where camera is.

Also as @Zinersby stated, VPN is also viable and perhaps fastest solution.

Also there is Hik-PartnerPro OpenApi integration decumentation on tpp.hikvision.com

There are multiple solutions for multiple scenarios.All of them will solve your problem, But does not mean they are always easy to implement.

Good luck!