Stream with IP cam where I don't have access to router settings

Olof23

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello!

Sorry if this has been up before, tried to search and read a few threads...

I need to move an outdoor IP cam between locations/networks and cannot access any routers to allow port forwarding e t c. The cam has to be some sort of plug and play where I only need to connect to the internet with each move.

The cam should stream 24/7 to Youtube (perhaps via wecam.io or similar) and an idiot (like myself) must be able to plug it in and get it to start streaming without any configuration at all apart from logging on to wifi/ethernet.

Someone said there are "pre-configured" cams that only will send a (rtsp?) stream to somewhere. Then you don't need to access the cam from outside. I don't know if this is true, but it sounds like something I could use. Is there such a thing like a "pre-configured" cam where I myself could set some sort of static address that could be sent to e g webcam.io and then to Youtube?

Otherwise I have only found Camstreamer that could be used with Axis cams, but now cost is going up somewhat and I would completely be in the hands of Camstreamer that their app works forever...

So, what options do I have (if any)?

Big thanks!
/Olof

Olof23

n3wb
Reaction score
Bumping this thread.

So, there is NO way to live stream to Youtube without any router hack or using a cloud solution, apart from having Camstreamer installed on an Axis cam??

Thanks!
/Olof

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Bumping this thread.

So, there is NO way to live stream to Youtube without any router hack or using a cloud solution, apart from having Camstreamer installed on an Axis cam??

Thanks!
/Olof
Let's think out of the box - you want to stream 24/7, but also want to be mobile (but still can depend on electricity/power outlets?) ? If your configuration allows some networking gear, you might be able to hook up an additional (mini)router, which can act as "gateway" to the wifi you want to connect to - this one can then host for example a VPN tunnen (openVPN client) which opens the doors to the internet. The advantage of this setup: if that router is 3g/4g capable, you might find an "unlimited" data plan which allows you to stream even when there is no wifi available. Except if you need the 4k stream off course, forget about that setup ;-)

Olof23

n3wb
Reaction score
Let's think out of the box - you want to stream 24/7, but also want to be mobile (but still can depend on electricity/power outlets?) ? If your configuration allows some networking gear, you might be able to hook up an additional (mini)router, which can act as "gateway" to the wifi you want to connect to - this one can then host for example a VPN tunnen (openVPN client) which opens the doors to the internet. The advantage of this setup: if that router is 3g/4g capable, you might find an "unlimited" data plan which allows you to stream even when there is no wifi available. Except if you need the 4k stream off course, forget about that setup ;-)
Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I will always have power from the mains and access to internet (wifi or cable), so that is not any issue.

Your solution sounds really interesting and "out of the box" for sure! It is a great idea that I will look into further. Have you tried this setup yourself?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I will always have power from the mains and access to internet (wifi or cable), so that is not any issue.

Your solution sounds really interesting and "out of the box" for sure! It is a great idea that I will look into further. Have you tried this setup yourself?
Hi Olof23, my Asus AC87U (but similar models feature the same capabilities) has the capability to "fall-back" to 3g/4g. It does NOT have 3g/4g chipset onboard, however through USB you are able to hook up an Android phone, and put that one in USB Tethering mode. In my setup, when the WAN goes down (eg. by pingtest), it activates the failover line and the router goes to internet by using the 4g on the android phone. Very neat, very transparent (only 2-3 second downtime) and very practical if thieves/burglar sabotage your power/internetcable/ISP connectivity. If all is running on UPS (that's why I asked for your mains connectivity requirement), you still have visibility from everywhere to your infrastructure. What I didn't test is the ASUS in "bridge" mode (eg connect to another wifi, and extend that wifi), as my neighbours don't like being parasited ;-) So not sure whether the 3g/4g failover still works then.

Hope this helps!
CC

Olof23

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Olof23, my Asus AC87U (but similar models feature the same capabilities) has the capability to "fall-back" to 3g/4g. It does NOT have 3g/4g chipset onboard, however through USB you are able to hook up an Android phone, and put that one in USB Tethering mode. In my setup, when the WAN goes down (eg. by pingtest), it activates the failover line and the router goes to internet by using the 4g on the android phone. Very neat, very transparent (only 2-3 second downtime) and very practical if thieves/burglar sabotage your power/internetcable/ISP connectivity. If all is running on UPS (that's why I asked for your mains connectivity requirement), you still have visibility from everywhere to your infrastructure. What I didn't test is the ASUS in "bridge" mode (eg connect to another wifi, and extend that wifi), as my neighbours don't like being parasited ;-) So not sure whether the 3g/4g failover still works then.

Hope this helps!
CC
Thanks for the infor about HW. Seems like an expensive secondary router. I am sure it is good in everyway, but I wonder if there is an alternative without the 3g/4g fall-back function. I would only need a vpn and cable only probably.

Anyways, I will do some searching on the internet now and see what comes up.
Thanks again!