Streaming a substream to YouTube Live

Shbek1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey, I'm hoping someone can help me out with this or point me in the right direction. Sorry in advance, this will be a bit long.

I have an hdw4231em-as pointed at an aquarium that I'd like to live stream on YouTube. To do this I need to encode the rtsp stream to rtmp, then point that at YouTube. I have this working fine with the mainstream via FFMPEG with the following code in a .bat:

Code:
ffmpeg -f lavfi -i anullsrc -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp://USERNAME:PASSWORD@CAMIP:554 -tune zerolatency -vcodec libx264 -pix_fmt + -c:v copy -c:a aac -strict experimental -f flv rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2/YOUTUBELIVEKEY
Unfortunately I have a data cap, and I don't want to dedicate a huge hunk of my monthly data to a 24/7 10fps 1080p stream. I also don't want to lower my video stream to Blue Iris, so I'd like to use a substream. Substream 2 is enabled and I tried adding on to the rtsp bit of code with:

Code:
rtsp://USERNAME:PASSWORD@CAMIP:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=2
This fails on FFMPEG. I think something with the '&' is causing problems - it adds a space on the command window. It does work fine on Blue Iris and VLC, so I know the substream is properly set up and working. Is there a way of pointing to the substream without an '&' symbol?

Any idea on how I can get this working?
I'd be open to trying other programs (preferably free). I've also tried OBS Studio, but I couldn't get the stream to show any rtsp stream despite screen broadcasting working fine.

Last edited:

cb8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Try putting quotes around the URL. Ampersand is used to invoke multiple commands from a single line and needs to be quotes or escaped.