Streaming Capability?

Seair

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all.
Quite new to this stuff. Looking at specs on an
Amcrest 4MP PTZ (12x Optical Zoom) Outdoor POE + IP Camera Speed Dome, 328ft Night Vision, POE+ (802.3at) - IP66 Weatherproof, Pan/Tilt/12x Motorized Zoom, 4-Megapixel (2592x1520), IP4M-1053EW (White)
and the specs say Streaming Capability is 3. What does this mean? I'm attempting to use it as a webcam for the world to see. Would this camera do the trick? Or will the Streaming capability 3 cause a problem?
Thanks.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That's saying that there are 3 different streams available from the cam:

Main Stream: 4M/3M/1080P/1.3M/720P (1~25/30fps)
Sub Stream: D1/CIF(1 ~ 25/30fps)
Third Stream: 720P/D1/CIF (1~25/30fps)

You'd likely be using only the first for that.

Seair

n3wb
Reaction score
That's saying that there are 3 different streams available from the cam:

Main Stream: 4M/3M/1080P/1.3M/720P (1~25/30fps)
Sub Stream: D1/CIF(1 ~ 25/30fps)
Third Stream: 720P/D1/CIF (1~25/30fps)

You'd likely be using only the first for that.
Thank you Mike A.
Much appreciated.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Damn it man, you or someone else deleted your other thread where you were asking about controlling the camera.

Yes you can allow anyone to control the camera. Typically remote access in that situation (no always-on pc) would be done by port forwarding, but port forwarding is unwise because it exposes your camera to the internet. IP cameras exposed to the internet get hacked all the time. Literally in the time it has taken me to write this, several IP cameras somewhere have been hacked because public ports were forwarded to them.

If you want the camera to be accessible by only a few specific people, then you can set up a VPN server (on your router, hopefully) and people can connect to that VPN and use your camera just as if they are connected to your wifi.

If you want it to be accessible to the general public, then you will need to do the unwise port forwarding and just live with the consequences, or otherwise set up another device on your LAN that offers a safer interface for the camera. One possibility would be Blue Iris on a Windows PC. Forward a port to that (e,g. Blue Iris, NOT DIRECTLY TO THE CAMERA) and let people view/control through that.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
But then it was gone when I tried to post my reply?
Maybe you were viewing it while it was in the approval queue.
When reviewed and approved (which I did) it gets moved to the intended forum and the approval queue empties.