Street light keeps camera from going to IR... Dark Picture!

qwerty11

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a street light that keeps one of my cameras from going to IR. Is there anything I can do besides move the camera?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Adjust the day/night switch-over sensitivity? If the firmware supports it, you can also sometimes schedule the switch-over based on what time it is.

qwerty11

n3wb
Reaction score
Adjust the day/night switch-over sensitivity? If the firmware supports it, you can also sometimes schedule the switch-over based on what time it is.
Unfortunately my cameras and DVR do not have that functionality.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you sure? The scheduling I can see, but day/night sensitivity adjustment is fairly common and basic. If it doesn't have that (even tucked away somewhere in the settings), then maybe something old-school like putting a piece of electrical tape partly over the photoelectric cell on the front of the camera to block, say, half of the incoming light might work. That's done easiest on bullets, but you could do the same thing with a dome if you took the dome off.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what cameras and dvr do you have? but presuming your right and it gives you no ability to control it.. then it sounds like your SOL.

this one is tricky, even time schedules do not work that well since the sunrise and sunset changes every single day.. I had to figure out API calls and write my own program to do it.

qwerty11

n3wb
Reaction score
what cameras and dvr do you have? but presuming your right and it gives you no ability to control it.. then it sounds like your SOL.

this one is tricky, even time schedules do not work that well since the sunrise and sunset changes every single day.. I had to figure out API calls and write my own program to do it.
Q-See QC958 DVR & QCA7207B Cameras

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ah analogue, yeah your pretty much SOL.. those were not really configurable to any extent.. you could try locating the light sensor and obscuring it slightly with tinted tape, but without a hardware hack your going to have to move it.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is a way but it will take some effort and trial and error. You will need some electrical tape and an exacto knife. Cover just the light sensor on the camera with tape. This will force it into night mode. With the knife make a very small hole in the tape. Play with the hole size until it kicks into night mode at night and day mode during the day.

rogerwilco

n3wb
Reaction score
May be you can use a piece of prism. If you cover the sensor with a thick piece of small transparent acrylic cut like a cube (say, about 5 milimeters thick) and cover the top side (or the side facing to Street light) with electric tape or dark colored nail polish, the remaining faces will still carry ambient light to sensor in daytime. If still fails, you can paint remaining faces, one by one. This is not tested before but Its likely to work :) Good luck!