Street light question

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On my property there is a light pole off to the side closer to the road. It is roughly 80' from my front door/front deck. On that pole is a street light, but it has been inactive since we bought this home about 8 years ago.

I have a question about effects on the Reolink night vision capabilities. If I pay to activate it and then "rent" it would that help? Or since the source would be behind any would be bad guys on my porch would it just put the part of the body facing away from the light (that would be a frontal view of the person if they were trying to break into the house) in an even darker shadow since street light is behind them?

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FY.20160411_191342.jpg

Here is a snapshot to hopefully make it easier understood. If you look to the right corner of the fence you will see it.

FP.20160411_191904.jpg

Opps sorry, this is the camera that would be getting a look at them. The Front Yard one was put in to show light pole position.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it'd likely just silhouette them like you suspect without adding more light to your house.. if its inactive and unused, slap a camera on it.. that looks like a prime spot for a PTZ :D

better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
lol daytec113! I will get right on that in the morning. Thank You for noticing. My kids and now grand kids are always pulling stuff like that on me to see if I would notice. No telling how long it has been facing the wrong direction. lolololol

Thats what I thought nayr. Was hoping that there could possibly be enough light bounce to off set that. But I am new to the cam adventure so did not know exactly how that would work out. Would love to stick a cam out there as like a weather cam or something to that effect. But even though the light has been inactive, all the lines and transformer on it are active. That pole is part of the run that goes to the pole in my back area, then feeds power to my house using buried lines. Plus my next door peeps feed directly off that pole. There has been a bird house on that pole that is now falling apart since we moved in though. :)

But an idea has occured to me. The pole in my back area, a light there would light up my sheds nicely. Tired of getting my mower gas stolen. Bummer when you think you have got gas and when you go to mow all your 5 gallon tanks are bone dry. :p I do have a camera looking at them but at night you can barely see even the closer one which is only 40' away. The other is 75' away from the camera.