<strike>Pendant</strike> Mount new Color-4K-X on an arm clamped to a pole?

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey,

My friend just bought 5 of the new Color4K-X-LEDs from Andy and we were wanting to mount either one or two on a really hefty 35-ft steel pole he has for the sign for his drive-through restaurant

The 4K-X cameras look something like this:

similar-to-4k-x.jpg
Info about these cameras: Worlds First Review - Dahua - IPC-Color4K-X / DH-IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED - Full Color 4K Camera

I've never pendant mounted any cameras before, so am looking for advice. Would like to make this as strong as possible, as we have a lot of desperate crazies in the neighborhood who would love to steal nice cameras, and very well might be able to jump 8 ft from a standstill on account of the meth.

I found a mount on Dahua's site that looks like it could clamp to the pole OK, the PFA153 or PFA153-SG. The pole it'd have to straddle is huge. It's square in shape with rounded corners, about 8" wide square. I'm calling it a pole since it's vertical, but it's really a massive steel beam. Like the kind of thing bridges are made of. Here's link to Dahua site: PFA153

DH-PFA153_image3_thumb.png

We'd like to have another arm coming away from the pole a couple feet. I'm thinking like one of those LPR mounts they have at banks that are on walls, or sometimes embedded in concrete. Here's an example of what I was thinking:
pendant-mount-like-bank-LPR-bh-photo.jpg

The review on the camera says mounting options are PFA152-E, PFA130-E, etc. Has anyone used a pendant mount, is there something that needs to go between the pole and the camera, like a particular junction box or hardware? Or do I need to find a more suitable pendant mount?

Edit:

I looked into this a bit and noticed I couldn't find really anything about doing pendant mounts of bullet-style cameras. While I found this arm mount that looks like it's got some kind of adapter for bullet cameras that MIGHT be adaptable to a pendant mount, I got the impression from some videos / articles that pendant mounting is basically just for dome cameras.

So now I'm thinking maybe just an arm mount?

This one I found with the adapter is a little short, but I like how stocky it looks. I'd really like something that is thick af and not tweaker-pull-downable:
strong-little-arm.jpg strong-little-arm-mounting-bracket.jpg

What's really interesting to me is the adapter thing they use for putting bullet cams on it. What's that thing called? And could I do the same thing with like one of the Dahua round junction boxes so it looks more clean? These cameras have a lot of cables to hide.

Thanks!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If the beam is that wide and flat why not drill and tap for SS screws right into the steel itself. Rather than rely on some clamp or a flimsy hanger added in and that would work well with a junction box too.

Nut and bolt would eliminate the need to tap for threads but if box steel that wouldn't work out and It is easy to tap threads for screws. Results in a clean finished appearance too.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
i think you misunderstood the mountings..

all of them needs a junction box. the camera will not fit on them and it is not recommended to mount them onto without a junction box.

@Wildcat_1 recommends another box for the bullet version, i think pfa121. so you need both, pfa121 and the pole bracket.

you dont need to drill any hole. everything just fits together and screws are included for any mounting.

here is a picture with 5442ze + pfa152e + pfb203w
mounted to a "pole"

pf152e.jpg

Last edited:

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

all of them needs a junction box. the camera will not fit on them and it is not recommended to mount them onto without a junction box.

@Wildcat_1 recommends another box for the bullet version, i think pfa121. so you need both, pfa121 and the pole bracket.

you dont need to drill any hole. everything just fits together and screws are included for any mounting.

mounted to a "pole"

View attachment 111933
Me? if so no just suggesting another way to do it and yes I'd use a junction box as up on the pole there would be no protection for the connection without one.

Unless the post is box steel and just so happens the top is caped off and sealed and able to fish the cables right up inside the post then out into the JB.

Drill and tap screws mounting the junction box to the pole then mount the camera to it. I think it'd look better plus I wouldn't pay 300 bucks for some clamp on bracket to save me few odd minutes work! Drilling and taping just isn't that much work nor is it expensive/hard to do.

As with anything boils down to personal preference coupled with how much do ya wanna spend for an end result.

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the beam is that wide and flat why not drill and tap for SS screws right into the steel itself. Rather than rely on some clamp or a flimsy hanger added in and that would work well with a junction box too.

Nut and bolt would eliminate the need to tap for threads but if box steel that wouldn't work out and It is easy to tap threads for screws. Results in a clean finished appearance too.
That's a good idea, actually. I work there with a partner and he knows a lot more about that stuff than I do, we drilled on another camera about 30 ft up.

These ones we want to put closer to sidewalk level so we can get people's faces. Just high enough some Andre the giant tweaker can't reach up and snatch a future crack rock.

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

mounted to a "pole"

View attachment 111933
Cool, yeah I've used the recommended mounting HW from the reviews for several T5442TM-AS and the HFW1831Es, was a perfect fit. I guess the disconnect came from initially wanting to pendant mount a bullet cam (didn't realize how weird that was at first) and now just over-thinking the arm thing. I'll throw a PFA130E junction box on an arm drilled straight into the beam, I'm sure it'll be just fine.

Anyone recommend a strong arm that's really good at protecting cables? Maybe with some kind of conduit connector at the base?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recommend using a stainless steel strap-mounted PFA-152E pole mount and PFA-122 junction box to mount and to connect to each camera.
I would avoid drilling any mounting holes in the existing pole although it might require that you do so for the 2 outdoor-rated CAT-5e cable that is run, one to each camera's junction box. Be sure to use proper bushings / grommets / fittings on the holes to prevent the sharp metal of the drilled pole from damaging the cable.

The stainless steel, worm gear-clamped straps can be purchased or made longer, you can actually put 2 straps that are about 4 inches longer than half the required length "in series" or "daisy-chained" to make one longer strap but I would NOT do this with more than 2 straps.

The camera weighs 2.2 lbs, the junction box weighs 1.2 lbs. and the pole mount is rated to support 6 lbs.

PFA-122 junction box PFA-122_junctionbox.jpg

PFA-152E pole mount PFA-152E_polemount.jpg

Stainless steel straps, custom length SS-geardrive-clamps.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.