Stuck IR Cut Filter

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am SOOOOOO frustrated by these cameras. I have about 4 of them waiting to ship in for RMA and then I have about 3 or 4 more that are all PINK now and no matter what I can't fix!

DS-2CD2542FWD-IS I have a BUNCH. Its bad. Anyone ever notice this? They are about 5 or 7 years old.

Thanks!

Neil

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The IR cut filter is a mechanical device and this might correct it; you've got little to lose if it doesn't!
  • With camera powered up and video observed, pick up camera and sharply rap it's back flatly on a hard, flat surface.
  • Test by covering, then un-covering camera lens to block sensor and exercise IR cut filter.
  • If it still doesn't work properly, then step it up a notch and rap again.
  • Test again.
  • Repeat unless you're ready to float-test* the camera.
*float-test or float check: old US Naval aviation term wherein you toss the faulty device overboard and if it sinks, it's not repairable.
Also known as "BCM-9" (Beyond Capable Maintenance: Navy had only 8 official levels to decide what to do with the device, the aircraft techs 'unofficially' added the 9th level)

EDIT: I assumed the cams are POE-powered and that this occurred to the cams over a period of time and that it wasn't all of a sudden. If this IS, in fact, sudden to this number of cams I would be suspicious of the POE switch's output and/or power budget.

Last edited:

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well, I have 11' and 12' ceiling. I might take a broom stick and see if that will do it. Amazingly one of them just went back to normal. I think if the switch reboots it, vs a reboot in the software might help. So a hard reset vs soft reset MIGHT help. Now only if I know which switch and which port :)

Reaction score
I looked inside my cams to see how they work .....inside the actual lense is a small copper colour battery which switches from a seethrough filter/ lense to a Brown one at night, this may have got stuck or been put back in wrong way round.......b4 opening up camera though put your finger over the led which is not red like the rest and see if u hear a click noise...usually loud enough to hear although could be very faint.....if u dont hear a click then its stuck.....or possibly battery gone( not sure on that one though but if it is youll need to open up camera to change anyway......just make sure the filters are put back the right way as mine didnt flick when i put back wrong way, took a while to work out as cameras went black and white in dark but no night vision till i realised what i had done lol!!!!

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im not disassembling anything. I don't even want to take them down. The problem is with my 60ish cameras about 10 of them now are having the issue. Either part is fragile or there is a huge problem with this particular model and its longevity.

ZeeCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I owned couple of these probably 6 years ago. I also had issue with IR lights. It's amazing you got 7 years out of them. If you have to take them down for warranty get something more modern as these have been terrible for night time viewing.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what would you recommend in my new home. I am seriously moving. I don't know what to do the next time around. These were purchased wholesale and on sale that month. Specifications wise they were perfect. I don't know if they are 7 years honestly. Its been some time. The were fine up until now.

ZeeCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what would you recommend in my new home. I am seriously moving. I don't know what to do the next time around. These were purchased wholesale and on sale that month. Specifications wise they were perfect. I don't know if they are 7 years honestly. Its been some time. The were fine up until now.
I had the one you have for a few years before started having issues with IRs but they were indoor cameras. For outdoor use I personally buy Hikvision turrets or mini bullets, I had G1s and most recently G2 darkfighter series. Actually I really like the new G2 Acusense. Just bought 4 more to replace all my G1s.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
These are indoor cameras - at leas that is where I am using them.

ZeeCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
These are indoor cameras - at leas that is where I am using them.
In that case options are limited if you want compact one. When I was looking for indoor camera it was either to get same size 2CD2543G0-IS or a bit bigger but with PTZ 2DE2A404IW-DE3.

Also check out SD1A404XB-GNR. It's Dahua but pretty good size for indoor use.

Last edited:

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I turn the lights on I hear this one camera. It sounds like a cat wheezing or trying to cough up a hairball. Another one I hit physically a couple times - no improvement.

I am so distraught because I settle on my new house soon and I really think I am going to be sucked up in the hikvision vortex again because nothing is better?!