Stymied trying to install IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

mac03579

n3wb
Reaction score
The use of a commerical VPN will mask your traffic. So when the modem sends its IP address to Asus it will get masked by the VPN. I am not sure you can use DDNS with that type of VPN.
Apologies for the delay responding here. Holidays.

I suspect you're right @SouthernYankee . I've reached out to the VPN to see if they can confirm/deny and then I'll work on figuring out from there. I know I need to mask these cameras from the interwebs, but I'm not willing to expose my network traffic (outgoing) to my ISP either. Conundrums abound. :)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Note: The network camera is set with the factory default IP address of “192.0.0.64”, the port of “8000”, the super user name of “admin” and the password of “12345”.

mac03579

n3wb
Reaction score
Wanted to circle back to folks here just in case this might help someone else.

To recap:

I'm installing two cameras on my network.
I have an ASUS router running the ASUS software
I'm using a commercial VPN for my OUTGOING internet traffic
I needed to set up DDNS and a VPN for my INCOMING internet traffic to secure the cameras from possible intrusion by bad actors
The combo of the commercial VPN and DDNS wasn't working

Solution:

My commercial VPN provider (Express VPN) had a setting I didn't know about that allows me to tell it the DDNS address I set up and to authenticate based on that, regardless of which external VPN server I'm using. Once I set that up, everything else fell into place and I now have functional DDNS and OpenVPN set up on my router, which I believe should protect my cameras from intrusion as I wanted (if someone sees a hole in my logic here, please do tell me).

Thank you very much to everyone who helped me. I hope that this post will help anyone else in a similar situation.