Stymied trying to install IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

mac03579

n3wb
Reaction score
MAC

Who is your internet provider ?
This is a standard problem. I believe you have two routes inline, the second route is the ASUS.
Looking at the ASUS router the main page, what is the first three digits of the displayed IP address.

I have a similar setup I have a comcast arris router that need to be set into passthru / bypass mode.

do you own the modem or does your internet provider ?
Internet provider: Spectrum (formerly Charter)

Do you mean the WAN IP? If so, it's 10.0.x.x

I'm having trouble getting into the Arris router. The standard IP address doesn't display the admin page (it times out). I set this up 4 years ago, so I honestly don't remember what I did.

I own this router.

Thanks for your thoughts!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The WAN IP that is displayed in the asus router is a local non internet IP address. The 10.0.x.x address is more than likely the address you can use to access the arris modem with a web browser. The Arris modem is not really a modem, it is providing other features, like providing a local address instead of the internet IP address, the ASUS router see the local address can not configure DDNS.
I am not sure that the Arris Surfboard SB6141 can be places in passthru / bypass bridge mode.

Just to clarify you own the Arris Surfboard SB6141 modem ?
do an internet search and see if your can find the information on Arris Surfboard SB6141 pass-thru / bypass / bridge mode.

Private ip addresses. Local IP addresses. These addresses are NOT used by the internet. They are for your local home/business network.
10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
I went to the DDNS page to set that up. I got the following warning:

View attachment 52773

After some poking about, I think this might be down to the following ... my incoming internet comes through an Arris Surfboard SB6141 modem and then goes to the Asus. Does it make sense that the modem is assigning an IP to the Asus? Or am I completely misunderstanding?

Thanks for all your help!
I have same cable modem with an RT-AC68U(I purchased these on my own, not from cable company). My cable service is Cox Cable. I don't have the issue you have. I do have a dynamic IP? Have you checked with your cable company.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oceanslider
please provided screen shots of all Arris Surfboard SB6141 modem configuration pages.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NO i do not know how on that modem, try 192.168.100.1 with a web browser. I am not sure if that is connect.
Who did you purchase the modem from ?
Each internet provided seems to have custom configuration for that modem.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I also have an Arris Surfboard SB6141 modem. Sourced from Best Buy. Spectrum ISP.
Never went into the setup menu. Now I'm curious.
See page 19 of 32 in the attached User's Guide.
SouthernYankee is spot on with the correct IP address to use.

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am not sure what I am looking for. The only number that should be of concern is your IP address. Just lock it out. We need pages that refer to bridge / dhcp / NAT

mac03579

n3wb
Reaction score
The WAN IP that is displayed in the asus router is a local non internet IP address. The 10.0.x.x address is more than likely the address you can use to access the arris modem with a web browser. The Arris modem is not really a modem, it is providing other features, like providing a local address instead of the internet IP address, the ASUS router see the local address can not configure DDNS.
I am not sure that the Arris Surfboard SB6141 can be places in passthru / bypass bridge mode.

Just to clarify you own the Arris Surfboard SB6141 modem ?
do an internet search and see if your can find the information on Arris Surfboard SB6141 pass-thru / bypass / bridge mode.

Private ip addresses. Local IP addresses. These addresses are NOT used by the internet. They are for your local home/business network.
10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255
@SouthernYankee Thanks so much for your help. I figured out what the problem was and now should be able to set up a DDNS. I can't see any way to use this one from ipcamtalk (the ddl doesn't show an option that doesn't seem to require a third party authentication). So I was trying to use the asus.com version and that one keeps telling me it is an unauthorized registration request. I suspect it's my external VPN and the mis-match in IP addresses is making it unhappy. Does this seem logical?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The use of a commerical VPN will mask your traffic. So when the modem sends its IP address to Asus it will get masked by the VPN. I am not sure you can use DDNS with that type of VPN.

Last edited:

justabeginner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Connect your Mac directly to the POE switch and change your network adapter's IP address to 192.168.1.2 with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. Open your browser and type in the ip address 192.168.1.108 and see if you get the web admin interface.
I have a question. My switch has four ports that are not POE and four that are POE. Are you saying to plug my camera and also my Mac into the powered ports? This won't damage my Mac?

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Plug your camera into a powered POE port and your Mac into the non-powered POE port as a safe option. I don't know what model switch you have, but usually you can plug a computer into a powered POE port without any damage to the computer.

justabeginner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't think there was a manual in the box. I need to read some more and start over.

Thanks for your help.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't think there was a manual in the box. I need to read some more and start over.

Thanks for your help.
Once you know what the ip address and subnet mask are for the camera, set your Mac's ip address to one in the same range and set the subnet mask to the same as the camera.