Sub folders for storage

johnstjs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A question about using subfolders for storage. I currently have all of my cameras set to record to subfolders under the the /BlueIris/New/ folder (based on cam name and then another subfolder with the date). This is done using &CAM\&CAM.%Y_%m_%d\&CAM.%Y%m%d_%H%M%S in the record tab on the specific camera setting on BI. Works great. Here's the issue - I want to convert it it mp4 for long term storage and to be played on a non BI pc. In the "Clips & Archiving" tab, if I just move it to the Stored folder it moved all of the sub folders etc (but this doesn't get me anything). If I re-encode it when I move it to the Stored folder it just puts every file directly under the Stored folder and does away with the subfolders. Is there an easy way I can accomplish this?

Thanks!

Jeff

johnstjs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bumping this up. Does anyone have a way to convert a clip to mp4 and keep the subfolders intact?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Isn’t using subfolder like that a no-no according to the BI help guides? I’m sure I read a warning not to do this.

Your best bet is to lodge a support ticket but Ken may well reply with he warns against doing this for exactly this reason.

johnstjs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Isn’t using subfolder like that a no-no according to the BI help guides? I’m sure I read a warning not to do this.

Your best bet is to lodge a support ticket but Ken may well reply with he warns against doing this for exactly this reason.
Thanks for the reply

Actuall, the BI Help file is where I got the syntax to automatcially create sub-folders

Here's the text that I'm using

It’s recommended that you retain the default filename format. It is possible to override this
however to add a subfolder for the camera and/or month and year for example:
&CAM\&CAM.%Y%m%d_%H%M%S
%Y%m\&CAM.%Y%m%d_%H%M%S

This works great to create the initial folder and even If I wanted to just move it from the "New" folder to the "Storage" folder. The problem is I don't want to move it, I want to re-encode it to MP4 at that point and then you can only send it to an absolute folder.

I just sent support an email asking about this.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Now that you’ve reminded me yes I now remember reading that too

Keep us updated with the reply, hopefully he do an update to fix your issue.

johnstjs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Now that you’ve reminded me yes I now remember reading that too

Keep us updated with the reply, hopefully he do an update to fix your issue.
Will do - It's not a huge issue (more of a like to have vs a need). We have occassional requests from the local law enforcement for our camaras pointed toward the road. Currently, if they are not still on our local PC we need to download them from the cloud, rebuild the BI db so it knows the file is there, and then re-encode. What I'd like to do is just go to the cloud to send them an mp4 based on camara, data, and time. There's no way I'm going to store 10s of 1000s of files in a single folder and try to get to what I want which is why I need to keep the folder structure after re-encoding to mp4

Thanamite

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Similar question but for Alerts: Can I use subfolders for alerts?

This would be amazing if I could use it for alerts too (I currently have 800K alerts in a single directory):
  • %Y%m\&CAM.%Y%m%d_%H%M%S
Thanks,
Thanasis