Subnet/Isolated IP-Cameras for a Sports Livestream Help

durzobl

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Team,
Apologies that I am not super tech-headed, so your collective wisdom in helping me with the following would be greatly appreciated. I've been tasked with putting together a rudimentary livestream for a large medium field sports game and my current solution is to wire some IP Cameras via CAT6 into a PoE switch, which in turn will be cabled via CAT6 into a laptop pushing the stream of those cameras out via OBS. (Connected to network router and subsequently internet also via CAT6).

My problem is this:
In isolation: (Cameras w/ static IP) -> (PoE Switch, unmanaged) -> Laptop w/ static IP
- Isolating my laptop and cameras during testing worked fine. Three cameras connected and streaming fine, using 192.168.1.1 gateway, laptop on 192.168.1.21 and the three cameras on 192.168.1.23,24 and 25. Subnet mask set to 255.255.255.0. All cameras visible and connected.
- When I enable wifi on my laptop (or connect it via a seperate cable), the cameras immediately stop being visible. The assigned IP of my laptop on the network is still 192.168.1.21, and I have checked that those IPs (23-25) are not occupied by other devices on the main network. I am unsure why I wouldn't be able to access them via IP when they are still connected and nothing else changes other than my laptop moving onto a network?

The goal is to keep the cameras and their upload seperate from the main network to prevent unecessary traffic with the video feeds.

Thoughts and suggestions greatly appeciated - thank you in advance :)

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
What is the IP Address of the laptop when connected to the WiFi? Generally speaking if you did nothing at all in a flat network that had no special firewall / routing.

You would see two different IP Addresses on the laptop. One for the wireless and one for the RJ45 Ethernet hardline.

Based on your thread title I’m going to take it literally there is a different subnet, class, or VLAN.

If so this is why you can’t see the video feed because you’re not on the same network.

Who ever manages the network would need to create firewall / routing rules to bridge the two together.

If for whatever reason nobody wants to resolve this problem by making network changes. It’s just easier to have the camera and laptop on a dedicated network streaming away.

Keeping in mind having a different subnet has no baring on bandwidth. When people use software to separate a network that only offers isolation.

Bandwidth / speed is dictated by the cable infrastructure, switches, router, and the end devices NIC.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are going to a facility that has it's own network/internet, I would suggest that you use a travel router (GL.iNet has some great options) to create your own network. Basically it will act as a fully functioning router and allow you to build out your network of computers and cameras before the event. (IE use the travel router at home and set everything up and test it before the event). Then all you have to do is will connect the travel router to the facility's existing network (either via hardwire or WiFi) and you'll have access to the internet through that connection. But it won't require any special setup or permissions from the facility's network to function properly.

Last edited: