Substream bitrate similar to main stream

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You do need to enter the correct IP and login credentials to use find/inspect or configure the camera if they're not already there.

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess for now I will use "/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1&unicast=true" since the inspect won't give me the correct information.

Thanks for your help.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that some cameras, lower end consumer grade, will show a sub stream but their CPU is not capable of supplying both simultaneously. I have an SV3C that can't do both as an example. Dahua, Hivision, Amcrest and so on have no problems unless you're pushing the main stream bit rate sky high.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've had a similar problem in BI with a Hikvision DS-2CD2035FWD-I 3 Mp bullet camera, the substream isn't showing up when I use Find/Inspect. I have 2 similar Hikvision anti-vandal domes in the same G1 series and here have had no problem getting the substreams to show.
I notice in Find/Inspect with the bullet it seems to be looking for profiles but no profiles are being recognized, but are with the domes.

I have this now working for the bullet, giving me Main and Sub streams for BI to display and use.
Make Generic/Onvif
Model *RTSP H.264/H.265/MJPG?MPEG4

Stream profiles are both on default, Find/Inspect doesn't offer anything in a drop down menu so I had to manually enter the stream details.
For Main I entered, /Streaming/Channels/101?transportmode=unicast
For Sub I entered, /Streaming/Channels/102?transportmode=unicast

On the domes here Find/Inspect did work properly and delivered these Stream profiles -

mainprofile: /Streaming/Channels/101?transportmode=unicast&profile=Profile_1
substream: /Streaming/Channels/102?transportmode=unicast&profile=Profile_2

Just a guess but it seems that Find/Inspect is looking for Profiles from the camera and not getting an answer. With the bullet camera, without me entering the streams details, Main is on default, Sub is none, no stream details appear, the two boxes are blank, only the main stream is displayed and available to BI. This is a similar situation to what the OP has posted.

Is there some setting on the camera's configuration concerning profiles that needs adjusting, using say the Hikvision web browser tool?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've had a similar problem in BI with a Hikvision DS-2CD2035FWD-I 3 Mp bullet camera, the substream isn't showing up when I use Find/Inspect. I have 2 similar Hikvision anti-vandal domes in the same G1 series and here have had no problem getting the substreams to show.
I notice in Find/Inspect with the bullet it seems to be looking for profiles but no profiles are being recognized, but are with the domes.

I have this now working for the bullet, giving me Main and Sub streams for BI to display and use.
Make Generic/Onvif
Model *RTSP H.264/H.265/MJPG?MPEG4

Stream profiles are both on default, Find/Inspect doesn't offer anything in a drop down menu so I had to manually enter the stream details.
For Main I entered, /Streaming/Channels/101?transportmode=unicast
For Sub I entered, /Streaming/Channels/102?transportmode=unicast

On the domes here Find/Inspect did work properly and delivered these Stream profiles -

mainprofile: /Streaming/Channels/101?transportmode=unicast&profile=Profile_1
substream: /Streaming/Channels/102?transportmode=unicast&profile=Profile_2

Just a guess but it seems that Find/Inspect is looking for Profiles from the camera and not getting an answer. With the bullet camera, without me entering the streams details, Main is on default, Sub is none, no stream details appear, the two boxes are blank, only the main stream is displayed and available to BI. This is a similar situation to what the OP has posted.

Is there some setting on the camera's configuration concerning profiles that needs adjusting, using say the Hikvision web browser tool?
For BI to detect the substream properly you need to have onvif enabled in the camera.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, it already is and has been from day one.
I have available ONVIF manager here, either on W10 or under Wine on a PC running Linux Ubuntu

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm the OP. The cameras that are not giving the stream options during the find/inspect are the Loryta IPC-B5442E-Z4E. This means that I need to manually type the paths for both streams.

Futaba

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry for digging this old thread back up. I was investigating why my cams don't have sub stream enabled, and found this thread. I have OP's issue. I found out that if I "Find/inspect" with an admin account that is not "admin" (some custom account name but with admin privilege), I get this:

1654471053484.png

But if I use the admin account "admin" and do a "Find/inspect", I get what everyone is getting.

1654471274159.png

Very strange, but now I get the sub stream detected and populated automatically after a "Find/inspect". This behavior happens to my 2 SD49225XA-HNR (autotrack PTZ) and HDW5231R-Z, and even the HFW5241E-Z12E (LPR cam) that I just received this week. But using the "admin" account on SD29204S-GN blackface (very old) still doesn't detect the substream URL.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe it is related to how BI logs into the ONVIF user of the camera. So when not using the real admin account you'd need to set a second ONVIF user in the camera with the same credentials. It's much easier to just use the real admin account that is default on the camera.

Last edited: