Sudden Spike in CPU Usage

NVR990

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've had BI running for months and my CPU almost never went above 19%. Today, my CPU usage is up and down, at times spiking to 70%, and I'm seeing dropped frames on my console view when that happens. It seems to be averaging 30%+ for the past half hour.

Any ideas why this is suddenly happening? I'm running 4.6.8.0 and have been since it was released in January. I've changed nothing about my config.

I did update the BIOS on the PC running BI yesterday, but that's the only change in my system that I can think of.

When I go into the "connections" tab within "Blue Iris Status" there are no active connections, so it doesn't appear that someone is accessing my Blue Iris PC.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Jinx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Similar to my BI PC, no changes but seems to now be affected by the Intel driver issue.

Go to drivers and see what version your on. Mine was fine for months, no update to the version but now affected :idk:

Does the memory usage go up also?

NVR990

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Yes, Windows evidently did a "critical update" on Wednesday. I tried to roll back using Windows system restore, but I got an error message saying something along the lines of: system restore failed. unable to access certain file. suggest disable anti-virus and try again. I attempted to disable anti-virus (Norton, in my case), but restore still failed.

My Intel HD Graphics 630 device driver is 22.20.16.4749, dated 7/24/17. I don't think this driver is the issue, because the driver does not appear to have been recently updated, and the "roll back driver" option is "greyed out" suggesting that there may not have been an earlier version installed on my PC.

Yes, when the CPU usage spiked, I I think memory usage spiked as well.

On a whim, I checked the "startup" programs via Task Manager. "Microsoft OneDrive Setup" was enabled, even though many times in the past I've disabled OneDrive (or attempted to). Perhaps it got "re-enabled" by Windows as part of the "critical update." Anyway, since I disabled the OneDrive startup program and rebooted, CPU usage has decreased, though still 3 or 4 percentage points above 19% (where it had been prior to Wednesday), and definitely more volatile than I remember it.

I'm keeping an eye on CPU usage today to see if the huge spikes return.

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went up 10% in the last week or two on 2 BI boxes I manage. No new updates or restarts, same graphics driver (4664). Was sitting at 7-10% for months, now at a constant 20%. Haven't had a chance to reboot or investigate but I did notice it and find it odd.

NVR990

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@ zebrock...very interesting. please keep us posted. i just rolled back to 4664, waiting to see if it helps...

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like the reboot on both boxes resolved it. Back down to 9%

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NVR990

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Rolling back to video driver 4664 seems to have fixed my issue. Thanks for the help, guys.