Sudden weirdness with a Dahua cam. Can ping, but nothing else.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi friends. A while back I made my first AliExpress purchase -- a Dahua ipc-hdbw1320e. It did well for a few months but at random this morning, stopped responding to my VMS - Bluecherry. I fired up VLC, MPV, etc., but nothing could get a lock on the RTSP path. So, I went outside, pulled the camera down, and brought it inside to tinker with.

I tried everything I could think of, but not much was working. What's weird is I was able to ping the camera, but I couldn't hit RTSP nor the web UI of the camera. It was as if the networking service fired up but nothing else. Nothing in my configurations have changed as of recently to make me lean towards anything in particular. Switch layout has been the same, server has been untouched, etc.

In the end I did a hard reset of the camera and reconfigured it. Afterwards, it lit up fine. Since I was now feeling pretty awesome about myself, I mounted the camera again, came inside, and nothing was responding. Brought it back, repeated the same steps on my bench, and ultimately replicated the issue.

The pattern I'm seeing is this. If I hard reset the camera, I can get logged in to reconfigure it. About 90% of the time, just by unplugging the camera and plugging it back in, it'll go into this half-baked mode where I can ping it but nothing else works. Even if I get lucky in that 10% slice where I can power cycle it and it comes back up, it's been a guarantee that if I do it again, I lose it for good again (aside from being able to ping it).

So, first question is, has anybody seen that before? I found the behavior to be a bit strange. Couldn't make sense of it.

Assuming the camera is fried, I'm of course going to be looking for an alternative. My goal is to hang around the 2 MP mark. Higher than that is fine, I'll likely just downgrade the res in the settings anyway. I'm currently eyeing up an NSC-2X2-DM 2MP WDR EXIR Turret IP Security Camera 2.8mm (Nelly's Security) or Dahua 3MP IR Turret IPC-HDW1320S (Wrightwood). I've A) seen this NSC in action (buddy has two of them) and I really like them, and B) worked with Nelly's several times in the past, all great experiences, so I'm somewhat biased of the NSC route. But I have four other Dahuas (well, EyeSurvs) and they've been flawless, so I'm not about to exclude a Dahua either.

Any thoughts on salvaging the current Dahua? Or perhaps some insight as to how you'd lean given those two options for a replacement should that be my next card?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is your cam locked down in the router so it can't contact the internet in any form? UPNP turned off on everything?
Any ports forwarded?

The camera could be getting hammered from the internet.
You might test it with your internet connection unplugged just to see.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is your cam locked down in the router so it can't contact the internet in any form? UPNP turned off on everything?
Any ports forwarded?

The camera could be getting hammered from the internet.
You might test it with your internet connection unplugged just to see.
I did. I had the same weirdness when I was going from:

Camera >> POE power injector >> static IP to laptop

In that circumstance it's literally a closed network, just me and the camera, nothing else, not even wifi of any sort rigged up for external communication.

For what it's worth I broke down and did buy the Dahua cam from Wrightwood, but I wouldn't mind still tinkering/learning about this bunk Dahua I have. If I could get it fixed, spare on the shelf, right? :D