Suggest a router that has a VPN

Pocono Joe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tinman.. I just bought and hooked up the ASUS router to my home network.. I have not hooked up my new Dahua NVR to it yet.. I'm still in the process of installing the new Dahua 5231 cameras.. How do I adjust the settings on the router for VPN?

Thanks, Joe

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tinman.. I just bought and hooked up the ASUS router to my home network.. I have not hooked up my new Dahua NVR to it yet.. I'm still in the process of installing the new Dahua 5231 cameras.. How do I adjust the settings on the router for VPN?

Thanks, Joe
Search this site for Randy setting up VPN

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if you want to take a big dive, try running pfsense. a bit of a learning curve but once you get it consumer routers will seem limited. i running on one of these with a used 4 port intel nic from ebay, doesn't cost much more than a good consumer router.

ASRock J4105B-ITX Intel Celeron Quad-Core Processor J4105 (up to 2.5 GHz) Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo - Newegg.com
HP NC364T PCI-E Quad Port Gigabit Server Network Adapter 436431-001 / 435508-B21 | eBay (these do run a bit hot, so make sure you have a case fan)

i only recently upgraded to this setup because my other hardware failed (motherboard died duuring a brown out, it was a good 7 years old and from aliexpress so i can't complain). i tired an asus ac68u with the merlin firmware on it afterwords and it was a bit too limiting for what i have running on my network (i had do do pretty much everything through scripting and then getting logging data on the scripting was hard) and ended up returning it and going with my new pfsense setup.

Reaction score
I run pfSense, and I also happen to have an ASUS router running OpenVPN as well, so I feel I can give an informed position.
  • for a solid 99% of users visiting this forum, pfSense will be both overkill, and significantly more confusing than an ASUS router.
    • many have difficulty hooking up and configuring IP cameras
    • some don't understand why port forwarding is bad
    • some face difficulty getting ASUS' OpenVPN connection working
    • so for many pfSense is a much greater learning curve than they should undertake
Nothing wrong with your recommendation @Zorac but unless the user has an interest in networking (and a lot of time to spend figuring out pfSense configurations), best to keep them in the consumer products that are well understood.

Funny story
Recently my daughters boyfriend was aggravated because he had paid for Call of Duty (limited time) Beta, and he couldn't play with his friends that had "Open NAT". He didn't understand why I was so resistant to "just do what my dad does, port forward all these ports or put our computers 'outside the firewall' because that's how they got two Xboxes to work at their house" (DMZ). He meant well but I have a high security profile by choice (even though it is more effort), I at least try.

I explained none of that was necessary, we could tweak the firewall rules so the game thought the NAT was "Open" but the PCs were still shielded behind the firewall. Unfortunately, there was very little to go on, because the PC version is brand-new "in Beta", so it took longer to fix than he wanted (by reviewing the pfSense logs to figure out what traffic was being blocked to get it sorted), but it was working by the next day.

It ended up being a firewall rule, combined with a very limited UPnP rule for each Call of Duty PC (all UPnp is blocked by default so have to work backward from there), but finding someone with pfSense with the same problem on a BETA game was challenging, and me being modestly experienced in networking also confused the situation.

I don't see most forum users having the patience to deal with this kind of headache. Most would cave to the "low security profile" pretty quickly just to get things working. I believe that's why port forwarding is the "standard response" you see to questions about accessing things inside your network (elsewhere on the internet), its easier than saying "figure out how to run a VPN"!

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Not got one, but the Billion 4x4 MIMO AC 2400 seems to be very highly regarded. I was looking at one of these as an upgrade for my IP supplied router. Not cheap, but then again if user reports are believed, you're paying for the quality:

Has 16 IPSEC VPN channels and pretty much bridges the gap between consumer routers and high end business routers:

Billion BIPAC 8900AX-2400 Reviews - Billion BIPAC 8900AX-2400 ADSLAC WiFi Router

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-MU-MIMO-Wireless-Gigabit-Router/dp/B01BNQFYP0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1528148019&sr=8-4&keywords=billion+router

BiPAC 8900AX-2400 - Wireless-AC 2400Mbps 3G/4G LTE VDSL2/ADSL2+ VPN Firewall Router