Suggestion for cameras installation and NVR POE

deun2013

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

I am a bit lost when it comes to the installation of the cameras and NVR and I am no so sure what s the optimal configuration of the complete setup.

I would like to avoid pulling RJ45 throughout the house.

At the moment, i bought:

• 2 bullet cameras 2.8 that I planned to use in the back and front of the house
  • One POE NVR

Front of the house:

1609062074003.png

1 Or 2 :

Pros:
  • I can avoid pulling cables throughout the house : I can install the NVR under the roof and pull the RJ45 from NVR connected with POE to cameras of the house without worrying too much
  • NVR which is noisy will be under the roof and secured
  • I just need to pull ONE RJ 45 cable under the roof

Con:

• Height of the camera : I am afraid this would be too high to identify properly the face of the people
  • I would like to use strobe light and alarm embedded in the Camera and it might be too high

3 Or 4 :

Pros :

• Good height to record people face
  • I can use the strobe light and alarm embedded in the Camera

Cons:

• Vandalism
  • Pulling POE cables POE switch in the room

Back of the house:

1609062718976.png

Same Pros and Cons as in front.

I am not so sure what is the best installation, considering the NVR POE:
- If I need to install the NVR next to the router and then in each room where I would pass the RJ45 cable outdoor, install a POE switch (in each room there is a RJ45 output so I would need to connect a POE switch and then drill the wall to pass the cable outdoor). This configuration would need to be done in each room that would be used to pass the RJ45 cable

- Install the NVR under the roof , just pull one RJ45 in there and then connect POE cameras directly to the NVR. Then just drill the front and back door walls to install he camera.

Thanks for your help, any suggestion or comment would be appreciated !

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
1 and 2 variant have one more pros: You can record People/vehicles outside fence (some part of picture will hold that)...

You forgot about sides of building... Especially that one with driveway... If You want to limit cameras You can move 1 from back to side..

deun2013

n3wb
Reaction score
Thats a good point - For the driveway I was indeed planning to put another camera recording the driveway - I wanted to put in on top of the garage - but I would need to use CPL probably (not pulling RJ45 wire)

The other side of the house does not have any window, its just a wall - if you look at the picture its a plain wall - so no entrance to secure there.

Thanks for your feedback!

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
About NVR - You can buy NVR without POE and separate POE switch (which will support also all home - WIFI Access Points powered by POE, TVs, computers, home automation gateways) - usually 4 ethernet ports on routers are to little for home that size... In this scenario NVR can be in different location from switch / cables ending point...

NVR location should be secure.. AND have UPS (also UPS for POE switch).

Also one nice feature of NVR is HDMI port - where You have 24/7 video feed from all cams..
Also some functions are much better / easer to use / configure on HDMI local interface (using mouse connected to NVR) comparing to Web Interface or Windows App.

You can try to hide NVR next to one of the TV to direct connect it over HDMI to one of TV.

Or use HDMI modulator (to convert HDMI to RF signal) or HDBaseT extenders to distribute HDMI signal from NVR to all TV in house (then NVR can be in different location from TV)...

deun2013

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all those points, I am taking notes of that while considering my installation. I did not think about having a regular NVR and using POE switch instead.

For the NVR installed closed to the TV, I am just afraid of the potential thieves that might steal it in case they find it - so I would lose my recordings.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For the NVR installed closed to the TV, I am just afraid of the potential thieves that might steal it in case they find it - so I would lose my recordings.
Yes, that the risk.. You can try to hide NVR after back of closet or above false ceiling or something like that...

Also You can (should) put SD cards in all cams to store second copy of video files local per CAM...

SD cards should be 'endurance' type (like Samsung PRO endurance 128 GB) and You can store on it only smart motion detection files (only movement - no 24/7)..

deun2013

n3wb
Reaction score
But if I want to use it on a TV with HDMI ..

What is you current configuration ? Do you have the NVR close to a TV?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
HDMI to 5 meters works OK... Some better / active HDMI can work 10-15 meters, especially if You use only 1080p (no 4K)..

In some location I use RF modulators (so on all TVs on channel 0 You see NVR, from 1 up starts cable/satellite channels)...
In some I try to hide NVR next to TV and use HDMI cable...

Always I use SD card on CAMS for second copy of files...
With NVR there is also risk of HDD disk failure or that someone will hack NVR and delete all storage (happened a few times in history - some 0-day's allows to hack teens of thousands of NVR's worldwide with open port or cloud access)..

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
PS. Big question what cables You have to TV... IF you have spare CAT6 (ethernet) cables - You can You HDBaseT extenders to send HDMI signal over CAT6 cable... There are event HDBaseT splitters (one HDMI signal can send up to 4 receivers over 4 CAT6 cables)...

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Reading your last post, you are expert in security cams installation?
No, I simply did a few installations for me and my family / friends :)

I'm computer programer and network engineer, so CCTV and home automation is easy for me (and big fun :)

deun2013

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds good!

Usually do you install camera under the roof?

To me it looks weird to use a switch combined with ups in each room and then add a rj45 cable going from switch to outside??

Is that not too much? I do not like cables.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have You any ethernet and TV cables in wall sockets in rooms?

Open that sockets and check are the cables put in any PVC pipe in wall..

If yes - there are PVC pipes in wall which contains TV / CAT6 cables from all rooms to one central point in home (garage?) then You can try to put more CAT6 cables over that pipes...

Alternative is to put cables under the roof.. You can put cables down from roof over elevation (or behind gutter)..

Third option to put all cables over false ceilings between rooms (if there any)?

There are always ways to hidde cables... Some require more work.. Depend of house...

deun2013

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes there are sockets in each room.

As you are expert in networking...Wouldn't it be ugly if I:

• Connect the switch to the RJ45 socket in the room
  • Add a cable RJ45 , going from switch to wall , to expose the cable oustide (it would be weird to have a hidden cable in a PVC pipe, going from the switch to the wall)
  • Drill the wall and pass the cable ?

Your latest option seems to be the easiest way - question is how to drag the RJ45 under the roof? Should I use an existing socket in one of the room ?

Then I would use gutter to place the camera outside.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't known - I don't known technology of building / topology of sockets (how far are from external walls)..
Also I don't known what is acceptable by You (or You wife / family :)

There are big differences how building are done between countries ;)
You should ask for help local electrician or CCTV installer...

If You have some CAT6 / ethernet preinstallation and You can't put more cables in walls You can use small POE switches in each room / location to not only share 1 ethernet/room per more devices (TV, cameras) but also to share POE power from main POE switch...

Ubiquity have something like:

This can help when we have only 1 CAT6 cables and want to connect more devices (cams, WIFI APs, etc) to it with sharing of power... Of course You must remember of power budget (all connected devices must much to power budget of given by main switch)... More data:

deun2013

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks mate for your valuable inputs ! I will ask for suggestion / help from CCTV installers.