Suggestion for small WIFI camera's that can be used on a Wifi LAN

erew

n3wb
Reaction score
Im looking for a camera with the following features:

Must Have
  • Could be placed on a window ledge OR attached to a window (tape would be acceptable here) to point outside through the window.
  • I dont want it to be too large/obvious (Had been looking at the Wyze Cam v2 type of size OR smaller). Even a camera that is the module on a cable like the spycamera's would be acceptable. spycamera example
  • I need/want to connect it to my WIFI network.
  • I want to access it across the LAN (RTSP or similar). I would like to feed it into my home automation software for live remote viewing.
  • Can record locally to an SD card as well.

Nice to have
  • Preferably HD 1080p, but 720p if thats all thats available.
  • Not night vision, but reasonable low light capability
  • Motion based recording
  • Motion zone setup

Many camera's I have seen of this variety either:

• DONT support RTSP or some generic access method to view your streams.
  • ALL require to be constantly connected to the internet to view/access them, which I dont like.... I dont want my camera constantly streaming or having possible access via someone on the internet... unless its a very trusted brand name e.g. logitech..... Hence wanting to be able to view the stream across the LAN.

Im not wanting to pay out a huge amount of money per camera.... anything around $60 being towards a top end.

I have no option to put in place cameras outside, hence inside, pointing out through a window is my only option... though I dont want them to stand out as being very obvious.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be really appreciated.

P.S. Im also open to cameras that you can put 3rd party firmware on, if there are any good suggestions.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suggest you consider the Dahua-built Amcrest IP2M-841W-V3 .

The version 3 provides AI/auto tracking of moving objects. It is ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p, IR, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, record to micro SD card, wired or wireless and has alarm in/out, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Comes with wall/ceiling mount, 1/4"-20 tripod mount female insert on bottom. Available in black or white for under $50 !

I've installed 4 of the similar non-V3 versions and 3 of it's lower-res (720p) cousins in the last 3 years and all have functioned with no hiccups.

I have also set one up with Tinycam Pro on a Sony smart TV (Android).

Two images below;, both snapshots of a stream into Blue Iris, IR is turned off, it's behind a garage window. It could use a box around it with foam tape against the glass to reject reflections but haven't got "a round tuit."

EDIT 4/1/21: V3 does NOT provide relay I/O nor jacks for an external mic and speaker.

Cam53.20200427_045733689_1.jpg

Cam53.20200427_122902923_1.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

erew

n3wb
Reaction score
I suggest you consider the Dahua-built Amcrest IP2M-841W-V3 .......................
Thanks for the suggestion. and thanks for the daytime/night photos!! (Always good to get a real world example!).

Ill go take a look over the Amcrest website and read up on them, though, from what you say, these do seem to hit on the specs I need.

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.