Suggestion on what NVR to buy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I just bought and installed a kkmoon sd27w IP camera and successfully connected it to my router and network. I can access it on my computer, smart phone, and over the internet when I'm away from home. I can also record it from my computer using the camera's software (which is pretty good) It was a big learning curve for me but I figured it all out.

but now I would like it to record 24/7. I just bought a kkmoon DVR but when I got it, I found that the video inputs were analog only. I'm going to return it to Walmart tomorrow.

I would like to get a recorder that I can put next to my router in the living room. Can I plug a recorder into my router and record to it from the camera? If so, what router should I buy? I plan on having no more than four cameras in all. I'm thinking 1TB of hard drive space on it. What exactly should I buy that's easy to get working?

I thought what I was buying from Walmart was a NVR but when I got it and tried it out and read the small checked boxes on the outside of the box, I see that they sent me an AVR.

Is there something I can plug into my router and records from the camera? I'd rather not use my computer all the time. I hear that I have to get the recorder so it's compatable with my camera. I really don't need to have the recorder control the camera, I already have that stuff set up and working. I just need a recorder that can either connect wirelessly to my camera or plut directly into my router.

Thanks in advance

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
ThomasFalater,

Welcome to the forum. There's a lot of info for newbies here, just dig in and do the research. See this thread for links to info: IP Camera advise

Some answers to your specific questions;

installed a kkmoon sd27w IP camera and successfully connected it to my router and network. I can access it on my computer, smart phone, and over the internet when I'm away from home.
Access over the internet into your home network to get live viewing? If you didn't use a VPN for that, you may have exposed your network to the internet and are asking for security problems. Eg: port forwarding.

Is there something I can plug into my router and records from the camera?
Can I plug a recorder into my router and record to it from the camera?
That's the purpose of an NVR, and how it is basically installed onto your home network.

I plan on having no more than four cameras in all.
Famous last words. Many people end up getting more cams than they initially thought they needed. The price difference between 4, 8 and 16 channel NVR isn't large. Go for future-proofing.

I really don't need to have the recorder control the camera
There are some features that are lost if you mix-n-match brands of camera & NVR, such as tripwire and intrusion detection. If you mix-n-match, you may only have ONVIF as the protocol, and that's a less-than-complete way to connect things.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Fastb