Suggestions for an outside facing in Camera?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd like to put a camera in the yard looking back at the front of the house, front door & driveway.
Has anyone done that before?
Instead of looking out from the house at an intruder, It would be looking AT the house as a perp would see it. Maybe get a better facial capture of an intruder leaving as the cam would be closer to ground (tree \ birdhouse) level. Not sure if anyone thinks to hide their face leaving a crime scene.

My drive curves in front of the house, so placement would be about 20-30 feet away from the fron door Across the drive is a small pond and outdoor electrical outlet.
So I could power a cam but no network connection.
I think connectivity options would be Wifi...not optimal but this would be an additional view so not mandatory that it works perfect but it would have a close window view near the Wifi router so should do ok.
Or an outdoor weatherproof power line extender if such a thing exists.

Any thoughts on such a setup or an optimal camera for it if I had to go Wifi?
There is sufficient down-lighting on the house that if it had good color or B&W night capabilities I would pref something that worked well without using the IR.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
waste of time, most are likely criminals will approach your house slowly looking around to see if anyone's watching; grab whatever it was they were after then high tail it the fuck out.. Catching them on the approach is an order of magnitude more likely to be successful than on the retreat.

If they gonna hide there face the'll put on a bandanna and it'll work in both directions.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm kinda with nayr on the usefulness of IDing folks going out but it's not a bad thing being able to check on the outside of your house remotely. It'll be useful, just probably not in the way you're thinking. If I did it here at my place, I'd probably go with a wide angle cam with microphone. Good opportunity to get a mic out near the street.