Suggestions for Ethernet-connected BI monitor

rsg

n3wb
Reaction score
Whenever we get a front door camera alert, we scramble for an iPad or iPhone to open BI. I was thinking we have several Ethernet connections in our home—why not have a dedicated screen/monitor upstairs and downstairs running BI either constantly or when a certain camera triggers?
I am looking for suggestions on what kind of hardware you would recommend for this. I am thinking something that has a Ethernet port, can be mounted either in-wall or somewhere relatively discreetly, touchscreen.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@rsg I use an old Windows Surface Pro 2 (cheap) and have it launch Chrome in full-screen mode. Chrome home page is the BI UI2 URL. I have Surface turn off it's screen after 5 minutes of inactivity to prolong screen life. You just need to touch the screen to manually turn on screen.

With a bit of work, I have configured BI to turn on Surface screen when camera motion is detected so no need to touch screen at all.
I also have BI send a trigger to Vera (home automation). Vera is configured to send voice alerts so you don't necessarily need to look at screen to know that there is a camera event.

P.S. I have iPads as well but the screen dimension is not ideal for my 2MP/4MP cameras. Plus, I can't configure iPad to off screen after inactive period. (I worry about screen burnout if screen is on 24x7)

Reactions: rsg

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Raspberry Pi connected to a monitor or TV all day long!!! I have my pi setup to auto launch chromium browser, auto login and go Kiosk mode (full screen) all by itself. Ive had mine running 24/7 for over 6 months with 0 problem.

They are also SUPER Cheap to buy. Just make sure you get a case, heat SYNC and fan because they tend to overheat without It! Setup cost less than $60 not including the display device

Any questions just let me know and I can help with more details

Attachments

rsg

n3wb
Reaction score
@actran How difficult was it to configure BI to turn on the Surface’s screen when cameras were triggered?
@Dasstrum I have looked into the Raspberry Pi for another project but the “programming” part seemed daunting. I am computer literate but can’t spend a ton of time figuring it out (the wife doesn’t find as much joy as I do in my home automation interest).

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly it is super easy and not much to program whatsoever. Most raspberry pi's you buy on Amazon with SD card already have Rasperian Jessie (the operating system) installed.

You literally plug it in... connect to wifi, Ethernet, double click Chromium (chrome browser port) and type in your Blue Iris IP address in search bar

rsg

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, didn’t realize it was that easy. Thanks, will definitely look into it.

Honestly it is super easy and not much to program whatsoever. Most raspberry pi's you buy on Amazon with SD card already have Rasperian Jessie (the operating system) installed.

You literally plug it in... connect to wifi, Ethernet, double click Chromium (chrome browser port) and type in your Blue Iris IP address in search bar

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@actran How difficult was it to configure BI to turn on the Surface’s screen when cameras were triggered?
@Dasstrum I have looked into the Raspberry Pi for another project but the “programming” part seemed daunting. I am computer literate but can’t spend a ton of time figuring it out (the wife doesn’t find as much joy as I do in my home automation interest).
@rsg In Blue Iris Camera Alerts tab, execute batch script. The batch script is 1-liner that sends a remote command to the Surface tablet. It's just a Windows PC. See screenshot:

To control Surface remotely, I use psexec and nircmd, both free tools that you can Google. The 1-liner is basically telling the Surface to move it's mouse so that the screen turns back on. There is no direct command to turn on screen, hence the mouse move...

Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 11.18.11 AM.png

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Even cheaper is the Fire TV Stick. You can use Chrome or Firefox and just open the browser page. $40 and some time on Youtube figuring out how to download the various APKs. The one thing I am still playing with is getting it to open full screen without a top address bar.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Gunner

n3wb
Reaction score
Raspberry Pi connected to a monitor or TV all day long!!! I have my pi setup to auto launch chromium browser, auto login and go Kiosk mode (full screen) all by itself. Ive had mine running 24/7 for over 6 months with 0 problem.

They are also SUPER Cheap to buy. Just make sure you get a case, heat SYNC and fan because they tend to overheat without It! Setup cost less than $60 not including the display device

Any questions just let me know and I can help with more details
Hello... I know this is an over year old post, but this is exactly what I have been looking for!!... I am trying to setup a RPi Zero W (yes, I know... a little slow, but too late to upgrade yet) for my Dad, so he can watch his two cameras (fed from a BI system I setup for him years ago) on a separate monitor in his livingroom.

Now, I can easily get it working in my tests - in a browser on the RPi... but I need it to be Dadproof :) As in: Ship it to him, for him to plug into TV/monitor's HDMI, apply power and run 24/7/365 (I will have SSH ability for any maintenance).

Kiosk mode seems to be the answer, but so far every method and "super easy" program/image/etc. I have tried just cannot get the BI video stream. And it doesn't help that I am very new to the RPi and Linux.

So, yes... any assistance/advice is appreciated.

Reaction score
I use a fire stick with tinycam set to autostart on boot so its on 24/7.. Its hooked to an old pc monitor that is turned on and off with a zwave appliance switch controlled by SmartThings.. I use the Blue Iris Fusion smart app to integrate Blue Iris motion trigger with SmartThings to turn the monitor on and off

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk