Suggestions for Far AND Wide Camera Setup

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I have a location where a bit of drama has been happening over a fence facing a footpath and road. Armed robber running away from a crime, burglar hopping a neighbours fence, car crashes etc..
The existing camera has caught these on the very edge of its vision, but since its IR isn't pointing that way it the objects arent much more than a black figure.

I would like to overwatch the full 180 degrees from the house, but given the distance to the footpath/road, its kind of far too. (So far and wide). Existing cam looking up the side of the house is a 5442-ZE turret.
I'd imagine this would require multiple cameras. Night time is the most important since that is when the "threat" has been happening.

Any suggestions for a possible far and wide setup?

Grey = House
Brown = Fences
Light Red/OrangeColor = Existing Camera POV
Dark green = Grass
Light green = Trees

BackFenceCams - Copy.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As you are finding out - one camera, regardless of how good, cannot perform as a be all, see all camera...

You need the right camera for the area you want to cover.

And you usually need more than one camera.

To cover an area at a distance from your camera install you need optical zoom to that area. Digital zooming in after the fact on the video only works in the movies and TV.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the 5442 camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.

I would suggest a camera or two on the fence as well. My neighbor has done that and the sidewalk is literally within 3 feet of the fence and his cameras haven't been touched in over 4 years. They are 4 feet high and give great images. Or in the trees.

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As you are finding out - one camera, regardless of how good, cannot perform as a be all, see all camera...
Thank you for your reply.
Its original intention of the existing camera was to just watch my side of the fence line and let me know if anyone hops the fence. But there was so much good drama OVER the fence that I now want to watch it. Got the cops wanting my footage from that camera on two separate occasions.

The 5442 ZE varifocal is the existing one, I'll rotate it outwards and see how well it sees looking directly out.
I suspect this might be a job for a PTZ with a spotter cam as you mentioned. The benefit of the Z4E/Z12E's are when they are zoomed, but I think I'd need a few to cover the area I want to cover. They are only a little bit cheaper than a single PTZ like the 29225, so a PTZ might be the cheaper option too. Since the "threat" has been at night time, the 2MP would work well.

Sadly the other side of the fence is council land, and they mow that grass semi-regularly. They'll spot the fence cams on their side and pull me up on it (Aussie councils are really anal).

Given me a bit to think about, thank you.

mark_whocares

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
unsure if this might work for you. (its pretty new so you might have to wait)

(dual sensor camera)

I suspect you would have better coverage and results with multiple cameras. (probably cheaper to)