Suggestions For Front Door?

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 6 Dahua T5442T-ZE surrounding my house. I have ethernet run to adjacent to my front door (on the same plane). Would a fixed focal length T5442T be a good option to place at about 7 feet? Is the FOV wide enough to see packages and faces? Would you suggest a different Dahua camera for this purpose? I'm not certain that I want a "boobie cam" since I've read about browser plugin problems. This will be added to a 24/7 Blue Iris recording computer.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The boobie camera doesn't need a plugin for Blue Iris. It does take two camera configurations though, one for each camera. That allows you to watch not only the approach for full face capture but allows watching the package drop area too. If you decide on another 5442 I'd go with a 2.8mm fixed lens for that kind of use case.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have two boobie cams and they work fine in BI.

But being Dahua cams, they do, like all of them, require the plugin when viewing them in the camera GUI. But if you have some cams from the same family, it won't ask you about that and just pull up.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So can you configure each camera using a web browser and the plugin? It was posted that when you install the plugin it ruins the plugin you need for other Dahua cameras. Or at least I think that's what I read.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have enough Dahua cams from different model series, then yes that will happen.

The 54XX series cams seem to use one plug in, and other series use others. I have the 4k/X camera (58XX) series and if I log in to that one, it will ask for the plugin. I run it and can see the camera. Two months later if I need to get into a 54XX series camera GUI, I log in and it asks for the plugin and I run it and move on.

Slight inconvenience, but it is 10 seconds. The plugin has already been downloaded from when you first set up the camera, so if it isn't showing an image and mentions the plug in, just hit run instead of download. 10 seconds.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for that explanation. I can deal with that sort of minor inconvenience.

Does the boobie cam work well for a porch camera? My porch is covered, but in one post Empire Tech Andy mentioned that this was typically used indoors. Also, is 7 feet about the max height to get good facial images? I'd go lower, but my wife would like higher. ;)

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sort of off topic, but I'd also consider adding a video doorbell instead of, or in addition to a dedicated camera. I've read that the new 5MP Dahua wireless model works, but it doesn't have a web interface. I guess you have to change settings using two different phone apps and possibly even have to let it have internet access for it to work properly? Any experience with this device? Because my current doorbell is about 2 feet away and at 90 degrees to my door, this could make an easy way to see packages.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Seven feet will work although lower is better, the WAF is a key element.

My experience, so far, with doorbell cameras is mixed. I have a DB1C and what a POS. It reboots about 100 times a day which means the config gets reset 100 times a day. In terms of a doorbell it's useless. It does serve as a good ID camera though, assuming it's not booting at the wrong moment.

I also have a VTO-2202 villa station on a gate post. I did a little creative "hacking" and it also triggers a mechanical chime. It's PoE and as solid as every other Dahua camera I have. Resolution isn't up to the current 4MP/8MP levels but we're talking about getting an ID at four feet or less not a panoramic for the Nature Channel or National Geographic. It is a big box, fits on a 4x4 post OK and a 6x6 post well.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a camera looking across the patio, and one that is installed on the patio entrance column, hiding in a bird house. ;)

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5442TM-AS.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do like the T5442T series. All of my current models are mounted on horizontal soffits, many with the round junction box added. Is there a reason why you shouldn't mount a T5442T on a vertical wall directly (next to my front door) and then just angle the camera down a bit? I probably won't use a junction box to minimize the bulky look. It seems like with vertical walls people usually use a mount such as this:

Amazon.com : EmpireTech PFB204W Water-Proof Wall Mount Bracket : Electronics

Thanks,

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dabflyboy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 5442TM-AS.
Thanks. I forgot about that thread for a sec. Getting older sucks lol

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No reason. Comes down to each individual and their install. I have installed mine vertical with zero issue - just make sure to waterproof the connection before you shove it back in the wall.