Suggestions for indoor wifi cameras with Blue Iris for occasional use when traveling

istreich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a number of good outdoor permanently mounted POE cameras connected to my Blue Iris system. However, when we travel, I like to use some cameras in various locations of the house to keep an eye on the place and have eyes in case of a problem.
To do this, I have used a few older Foscam Wifi cameras but some are not working well anymore.
I am looking for a recommendation for Wifi, non mountable (left on a counter or table), PTZ (at least Pan/Tilt) IP cameras working well with Blue Iris and affordable. Ideally, good night performance and decent resolution but really focusing on affordability as only used a few weeks a year and in addition to outdoor install.
Thanks a lot

Note: Don't want any proprietary camera not accessible via Blue Iris and/or requiring a subscription.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IMO the Wyze V3 cams work great for this. Roughly $30-$40 bucks. Pretty small form factor.
Both the still and the Pan\Tilt V3 have better color night view and better IR night vision than the prev gen.I have a similar setup w Diahua outdoor cams + BI but inside I've been very happy with the clarity, night vision and consistent connection of these wifi cams I just place on a shelf or in a hallway to keep an eye on the cats while we are away. I use a 256GB microSD card in them and leave them record 24/7 and you can go back and review all the footage from within the app. They have a free and a cheap cloud plan option if you want motion capture to the cloud or to view your cameras via their web view on a computer or AI alerts, (that work for face\pet\car triggers just ok but not great), but it isn't really necessary if just using them to check in and RV earlier footage. The V3 Pan\Tilt does a decent job auto-tracking a person or pet too.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@nbstl68 The OP asked for camera recommendations that will work with BI5. Does Wyze V3 cams work with BI5?

istreich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks actran. You are correct that this is my preference to only access one system, especially when traveling. I have been using the amcrest and they seem tough to beat for the price... Still interested in other suggestions if any

jpc-s4

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a few Axis P3433 that were upgraded to newer cams, a couple Amcrest IP-841, as well as a couple Dahua IPC-K42A that I picked up from Andy for indoor use. They all work well for this purpose. I have BI set up to automatically record these cameras when everyone in the home is outside of the geofence, but I'm using external automation for this.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@nbstl68 The OP asked for camera recommendations that will work with BI5. Does Wyze V3 cams work with BI5?
Oh, Sorry, somehow missed that even though it was in the title!
Wyze does not work with BI out of the box.

They used to have a firmware replacement they provided which allowed it to work, (added RTSP \ ONVIF compatibility?), but not familiar with it, how much trouble it would be or if the firmware replacement option is still available.
Yeah, other than that, they are great little cameras. For my temp \ vacation cat monitoring use case they work well as-is OOTB w a micro SD card & the free but limited cloud service for motion alert capture.

I had a Foscam, (now Amcrest), which worked great for years using Ethernet or Wifi...even after being dropped over a balcony into the basement twice! (The 2nd time the P\T motor control got a little wonky, haha.). So that should be a good option. They were just a bit too bulky for me vs the smaller\cheaper Wyze options.

Last edited: